Topic Sponsor
Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum Give us your feedback and tell us what you'd like to see or report a functionality problem.

quote notification? why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Default quote notification? why?

well I gotta ask about this. today I noticed we have a new section in our profiles that keeps a record of "quotes" where we've been quoted in posts and (I think) quoted others in our posts. and when a new one happens, it shows a new notification in our "welcome" box on top.

well sorry, but I gotta ask what's up with that. and correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to be a pointless thing, and frankly, it's a bit annoying. well no offense but it more than a bit.

first off, in the new section on the profile. I'm just really wondering why. a record of every time we've been quoted in a post? sorry, but the point? I can see going into the member's statistics and being able to click a link to his/her actual posts or thanked posts or threads they started, what have you...but why a full section on a profile for every time that member's been quoted? I'm not trying to complain but I'm asking why, cause I really can't see a reason...

and again, I'm just asking why. another thing is, in your little "welcome" box near top of page, where it says you have X number of notifications, that now includes when you are quoted. I'm not trying to complain or argue, but why? because frankly that part is annoying. I noticed that came into effect today...that small detail I know, but I look at it, and I just think, I was going to know about that. I check my control panel and see my subscribed threads, and usually check them for new posts. I then see the post responding to mine, and, well, know about it. why do I now get a notification? the point? I can understand it being there for a private message or visitor message or such, but this? especially for a very active member like me, even since it started today It just piles right up (and I might be obsessing but yes that little number increasing constantly for no apparent reason does drive me nuts), and I might be wrong, and I know it was created for some reason, but I just can't see it, and I have to ask.

I'm sorry for the rant lol, but I'm really wondering about this, and just can't see any good reason. if anyone would care to enlighten me lol, I'm just curious.

*end rant*
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 PM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

I like it. I think it's an easier way of keeping track of threads you've posted in, if someone has replied to what you said.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 84 Likes on 75 Posts

honestly, I dont get it. At first I thought it was a PM, then, ok someone is quoting me? So. I can see who quoted me based on all the threads I am "subscribed" to
Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by DavidKR
I like it. I think it's an easier way of keeping track of threads you've posted in, if someone has replied to what you said.
well to each their own, like I said I'm not trying to argue or complain, but I had to voice my opinion and ask a question about something I personally seen no reason in. but that is just that, my personal opinion.

personally, I'm probably going to just check it regardless of if anyone has quoted me or not, cause I'm interested in all responses if they're good ones.

just personally didn't see a reason. you have a good point but for me personally, I find i kinda unnecessary. but again, my opinion...
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by CPT150
honestly, I dont get it. At first I thought it was a PM, then, ok someone is quoting me? So. I can see who quoted me based on all the threads I am "subscribed" to
my point. just your opinion, and one I share, but if you someone likes it, all the best to them.

I think checking my subscriptions works great for me. I do like being notified about visitor messages or PMs, but quotes?

but my opinion, again.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyway to turn it off?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM

don't think there is. but I still feel I could do without it, but I'm bit more used to it...anyway...
Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

I don't even know what you guys are talking about lol... Maybe i don't have it, since i'm a mod? .... Where are you guys talking about... And it could just be something they are working on, if its new.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
I don't even know what you guys are talking about lol... Maybe i don't have it, since i'm a mod? .... Where are you guys talking about... And it could just be something they are working on, if its new.

This
quote notification? why?-forumrunner_20121227_142706.jpg
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

I got one, when you quoted me lol.... I like it! It popped up and said i had a quote.

Now they just need to make it live.

Another forum i'm a mod on is live sorta like facebook. Its not VBulletin though.

Quick Reply: quote notification? why?