Topic Sponsor
Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum Give us your feedback and tell us what you'd like to see or report a functionality problem.

QUESTION?...Best Method to post large table of OBDII PIDS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Default QUESTION?...Best Method to post large table of OBDII PIDS

I have a LARGE (comprehensive list of over 500 Ford PIDs) in an Excel Spreadsheet file, with PID #'s, Acronyms, units, descriptions, many formulas, and lots of diagnostic information added in numerous Excel 'comment' fields. I would like to start a thread consisting of this list for members to comment on and hopefully add to. The list would benefit forum users most if the PID numbers, descriptions and diagnostic notes were subjected to forum (and external) search engines. So I hesitate to just provide a link to my spreadsheet, or attach a PDF file, or insert .JPG or .GIF files as those formats would not be searchable at all. I can't insert an Excel file.

Can I use code tags and insert a large HTML TABLE with Text - what is the size limit?

What would be the most useable and friendly method for maximum accessibility of this useful information?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you haven't gotten a reply on this thread, but did you ever try this? I would be VERY interested in your complete PID list. I've seen snippets of it in other posts.

I'd also be very interested in any of your pre-configured dashboard layouts you're willing to share. I've seen a few screenshots of your dedicated screens for things like VCT, O2 Sensors, etc.

I want to say thank you for all the information you've shared on this forum. Your Torque posts are actually the main reason I joined this forum. Its probably the most comprehensive support I've seen on the web for Ford Trucks (besides maybe the powerstroke stuff).
Old 04-14-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

Upload the table to Google Docs and share the link, much like the Forscan threads. If you make your post/title descriptive enough, people should be able to find it with a little bit of effort.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nerdh3rd
Upload the table to Google Docs and share the link, much like the Forscan threads.
I was going to suggest Google docs as well, but he's looking for a way that the contents can be searchable via the board search engine.

I agree a Google Doc would be great for now, until we figure out how to post in a searchable format.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:57 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Default COMPLETE ??? PID List ?? (there's almost no such thing)

Hi guys. @nerdh3d and @1fastgranada, I haven't forgotten or given up. I've Just gotten smarter in certain ways, and learned that the term "COMPLETE PID LIST" is somewhat akin to the "FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH". Everybody thinks it's just around the corner. Seems that everything I learn compounds the problems associated with posting a 'complete list' - and not just CONFUSE, MISLEAD, or promote the spreading false / incorrect / problematic data through the community. I'll highlight some things that stand in the way.

The OBD system is 'unbelievably' complex and has as many variations as there are vehicle manufacturers, multiplied by the number of vehicle models produced by those manufacturers. (And it is destined to get worse. Just consider 'crash avoidance' and 'self driving cars').

@1fastgranada is correct. It needs to be thoroughly searchable. I've even reached the point I have to search the database by 'Acronyms' or 'Descriptions' or 'Comments' frequently. And many PIDs require information that gets pretty extensive. One of many examples, even though a relatively simple one is: EVAP Mode: PID #0975. A One byte value. Min value -1, Max 6, Formula = "A". Seems simple enough, but a number from -1 to 6 doesn't provide a lot of usefulness. I had to put the coded results in a Comment field...

-1 = Evap Monitor Not Running
0 = Phase 0, entry conditions not met
1 = Phase 1, Initial Vacuum Pulldown
2 = Phase 2, Vacuum Stabilization
3 = Phase 3, Vacuum Hold and Decay
4 = Phase 4, Vacuum Release
5 = Phase 5, Vapor Generation
6 = EVAP test completed

^^^^ All that 'crappola' seems wonderful, and it IS for _trucks like mine_ - but I have found it is NOT at PID #0975 on OTHER models (and I can't be sure WHERE IT WOULD BE ON THEM). I would only be misleading someone if it doesn't work on their diesel truck - even of the same year Model.

Then there's TSP (Also occasionally know as PRNDL) , Transmission Selector Position Input Status, PID # 11B6, Min 42 - Max 140 ...

PRNDL position (1,2,3,4,5=neutral, 6=reverse, 7=park)
See additional info for more ID assignments, PD1,
After FMEM for Digital TRS Goes to 0 in FMEM for Analog TRS"

On 2004 - F150, Decimal values
140= Park
120 = Rev
100 = Neu
88 = Dr
44 = D2
42 = Lo

Without that information - it's usefulness becomes nothing more than just a 'PID LIST', and subject to misleading information.

These two are fresh on my mind because I have just finished a Torque Screen for monitoring EVERYTHING associated with the EVAP system and the PCM completing its EVAP Readiness / Gas Cap Off Tests. And another Torque Screen for monitoring a ton of stuff about the transmission operations - pressures, temp, gear, torque converter slip - etc etc. I plan to post Torque gauges and PIDs with descriptions - for 2004-2008 F150 (and anything else they MIGHT work on).

So bottom line. A 'COMPLETE PID LIST'... what does that mean? You two guys check your PM messages.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 177 Likes on 132 Posts

From a technical perspective, it sounds like you would be better off loading all of the data in a database with well thought out table structures and developing or finding something that will be a GUI on top of it to search through the database. Dynamic searches can then cover just about any data you throw in the tables, and your web code could then pull all associated data so that the user is presented with the complete set of data needed to not confuse them. You would probably need to host that yourself, unless you convinced the parent company that owns this forum to host something for you. You can probably host a MySQL database in Azure/AWS for a few bucks/month.

Last edited by nerdh3rd; 04-14-2018 at 01:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nerdh3rd:
F150Torqued (04-14-2018), Plumber00 (11-08-2023)
Old 09-02-2019, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Text is quite searchable. I am inclined to say its more important to get the info out than wait for a silver bullet. This information has been and still is lacking for the most part.
I have 3 Fords, a 97 Ranger, 01 F150 5.4 and 01 F250SD 7.3 powerstroke.
For example, I have had to diagnose an EGR problems on the ranger and had a very difficult time finding info on the DPFE voltage. I finally found a reference to the pid, tried it and then had to work out which formula worked. I found it to be essential in testing the EGR system (along with a vacuum gauge). Faulty DPFE isolated.
Later when it came time to diagnose the EGR system on the F150, The DPFE pid was again useful (and the same PID as the ranger). In this case a bad EGR valve. Applying vac to the DPFE showed it capable of producing the correct range of voltages (Forscan (which shows DPFE) was also invaluable in its ability to command the EGR solenoid to open) . I have yet to find or see info posted for Torque on the Ford DPFE, as an example.

I think if you post it, Google will find it. For those aware of your work, they will look here first anyway.

As a footnote, I was very disappointed with the Ford OBD-2 manuals, considering they are produced for each model year. They have other useful info, but the PID info only seems to cover the threshold values for tests, not the sensor PID locations themselves. ��
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (09-04-2019)