Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you buy a vehicle on EBay?
YES
21.43%
NO WAY
10.71%
Only if I could see it in person first
67.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a vehicle on EBay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Would you buy a vehicle on EBay?

Would you buy a vehicle on EBay? Why or why not?

Also, does anyone have any tips or experiences with this?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Blue Angel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only is I could see it first and be able to drive it. I also need to be able to take a magnet if it's an older truck.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 PM
The Blue Beast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id have to see it .. Check it out, test drive it, check all fluids, check all wearable and tearable parts, etc etc ..
Old 10-06-2007, 02:41 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Does a motorcycle count? I bought a brand new Suzuki GSX750F back in 03 for the wife. I paid 5995 for it from a Suzuki dealer in NJ. Not having a babysitter enough so we could ride, the wife and I sold our bikes in 2005. We let our local Coleman power Sports sell it for us on consignment. It only had 400 miles in two years. Believe it or not, they listed it at 6299 and someone actually paid that for it too. They charged us 10% commission for selling it, but getting that much for a used bike shocked me. I was hoping to clear 5K for it. I even offered it for sell for that but got no interest go figure.

But buying used vehicles is a different ball game. You never know if someone is just dumping a problem or not. If it's not local, find a shop near that location and have the seller take it there to have it checked first. A few dollars out of pocket up front can save you a lot later.

What are you looking at buying?
Old 10-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Kenosha Cadillac

I would ony do it if I could see the car first, and if it was near me. Or if it was a frend of mine
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I would buy one. If you get there and its not as advertised don't pay for it. I sold a 2004 Ranger on E-bay. They guy flew down from Tennessee and drove it home. He is very happy with it. It was a totaled that I rebuilt. I advertised it as such and got exactly what I wanted for it. All my auctions start @ .99 and that recieves alot of attn.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 AM

i bought a 96 chevy blazer on ebay, i was stupid and never went to look at it. he had over filled the oil because he knew of the multiple oil leaks. they were so bad that while driving with the windows down i could hear people at stop lights complaining of the smell of burning oil. ended up costing around 1000 for oil and tranny leaks.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:10 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan
Would you buy a vehicle on EBay? Why or why not?

Also, does anyone have any tips or experiences with this?

Thanks.
Yes, absolutely!

I bought my 1996 F150(see sig.) on eBay back in June 07 and it is a great truck. The listing had tons of pictures of the truck from every possible angle. I was already sure it would be a great truck before I saw it in person. I had to drive 97 miles to look at it and drive it. I had a cashier's check in my pocket and was happy to sign it over. If not, I could easily have driven back home and continued my search.

If you buy on eBay, make sure there are plenty of pics of the vehicle in question. If not, email the seller and request them. They should be more than happy to provide more pics if the vehicle really is as nice as they claim it to be. Ask if they will offer to refund any/all of your deposit if you are not happy with the vehicle once you actually see it in person. If they are not willing to accomodate your requests, then perhaps they are hiding something and you should move on to another listing.

Run a carfax report on the vehicle. This will tell you the repair history of the vehicle.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dewman
Run a carfax report on the vehicle. This will tell you the repair history of the vehicle.
Even with Carfax you have to be careful. It not alway accurate, like in my situation. My 1995 Bonneville has had three owners and one car accident. Carfax shows a one owner (Me) and no accidents. I bought it back min 1999 from the second owner. Since then I was involved in a accident where a Jeep hit the passenger rear portion of the bumper. None of this shows up, so if it were my car you were bidding on and I didn't disclose any of this you would have no idea from Carfax. I have read other find issues on other forums as well.

Originally Posted by dewman
Ask if they will offer to refund any/all of your deposit if you are not happy with the vehicle once you actually see it in person. If they are not willing to accomodate your requests, then perhaps they are hiding something and you should move on to another listing.
This is good. There are some sellers that actually do state this in their auctions.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
Even with Carfax you have to be careful. It not alway accurate, like in my situation. My 1995 Bonneville has had three owners and one car accident. Carfax shows a one owner (Me) and no accidents. I bought it back min 1999 from the second owner. Since then I was involved in a accident where a Jeep hit the passenger rear portion of the bumper. None of this shows up, so if it were my car you were bidding on and I didn't disclose any of this you would have no idea from Carfax. I have read other find issues on other forums as well.
Was the insurance company involved when you had your accident? I believe that's how Carfax receives information is through insurance companies. If you did then that is definiately a knock against trusting Carfax and the information provided.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a vehicle on EBay?