General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring an inverter for in dash plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring an inverter for in dash plugs

Before I start I did search for other threads that had inverters wired up and read through them. I didn't see any with a good write up or specifics about what parts they used. I have drawn out what I want and think I have all my bases covered but I'd love it if someone could critic/double check that I'm not making any mistakes. I'd hate to start a fire in my truck!

Before I get into the specifics, this is the list of requirements:
  1. 2 in dash outlets
  2. 2 usb plugs
  3. a hard wired dash cam
  4. hard wired plug for raspberry pi & it's touch screen (raspberry pi is just a really little computer)

I plan on using 8 gauge wire from the battery to the 40 amp relay, and from the relay to the 40 amp 300 watt inverter. (I could get away with 10 gauge but since they are the same price I'd like to error on the safe side)

there will be a 40 amp fuse between the battery and the relay.

I plan on hiding the inverter under the radio behind the trim and running a fan duct from the air intake on the inverter's fan to the foot well so it gets fresh air.

Then to get the plugs in the dash I'm going to get a power plug to bare end and solder the bare end of the cable to these guys

which will be mounted in the dash. I'll do the exact same thing with the usb ports.

The devices I'll have plugged in draw the following:

Code:
<table>
  <tr>
    <td></td><td>Amps</td><td>Volts</td>
  <tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Dash Cam</td><td>0.65</td><td>5</td>
  <tr>
    <td>Raspberry Pi</td><td>2.5</td><td>5</td>  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Touch screen</td><td>2</td><td>5</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>wireless charger</td><td>2</td><td>5</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td>Totals</td><td>7.2</td><td>20</td>  </tr>
  </tr>
</table>
Watts = volts x amps
so with all the permanent things plugged I'm looking at 144 watts

That leaves plenty of room to run a laptop charger or other phone chargers off the power outlets.

Here is a basic drawing of the setup

Am I missing anything, or is there anything I should be concerned with? I've already used a 40 amp relay in a similar setup to run my 300 watt light bar and have had no problems so far.

I'm still on the fence whether I want the relay to be turned on when I start the truck or on a manual rocker switch. Obviously a manual switch leaves the possibility of draining the battery. Perhaps I'll look at a 5 pin relay that will let me have both.

sorry for the long post. I plan on taking lots of pictures and doing a full write up detailing what I did.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Andrew,
Your 5V power calculations are incorrect. You don't add volts as you did in calculating watts. You have 37W of 5v power specified, not the 144 in your calculations. I can't tell from your diagram if this is what you were planning, but you can't easily split a USB power connection as the device is supposed to communicate with the charger on power capabilities. You may actually be happier using a 12v to USB adapter such as the Aukey quick charge 2.0 54W adapter and powering this from the existing 12V power outlet circuit.

For the 110V connections, I just caution you to remember that you are now dealing with lethal voltages and to make certain things are insulated so there is no chance of touching a live 110v wire.

You may need to use a slow blow fuse. Inrush and surge currents may cause the inverter to pull significantly more than expected for fractions of a second. Those current spikes won't cause issues with the wires, but could be annoying with fuses.

Finally, I suggest researching requirements for connecting accessories with respect to the battery monitor on these trucks. I seem to remember something a while back that the current needs to go through the negative battery cable to be measured by the battery monitor. If not, the alternator won't deliver enough power to keep the battery charged. It has been long enough ago that I'm fuzzy on details.

Good luck with your install.
--Rick

Quick Reply: Wiring an inverter for in dash plugs