General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wiper gremlin - 2011 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wiper gremlin - 2011 F-150

When I crank my truck up or turn my key to the on position, my windshield wipers automatically come on and swipe five times. They may or may not make it back to the down position. I changed out the multi-function switch and it did the same thing. Thinking I could have gotten a faulty replacement part, I went and got another switch, but no luck. still getting five, sometimes four, swipes before they stop every time I turn on the switch. Anybody got any suggestions?

Wiped out in Mississippi
Old 02-01-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

try pulling the fuse and reinstalling,not sure
Old 02-01-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by crazyrwe
try pulling the fuse and reinstalling,not sure
I tried that, too. Thanks...
Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

I just did a quick Google, but some things I found were disconnect the battery for a bit, check the tightness of the terminals and this:

You will need to have the control stalk on the Steering Column replaced. A relatively quick job.

But my guess that might be the part you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-BL3Z-13K.../dp/B00M37ECTS
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It may be that the park mode in the windshield wiper motor is bad. New w/s motor. Several of the Crown Vics I drove over the years would do stuff like this. Had one that would run the wipers when the car was off.
Good Luck
Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by FerdinandF150
I just did a quick Google, but some things I found were disconnect the battery for a bit, check the tightness of the terminals and this:

You will need to have the control stalk on the Steering Column replaced. A relatively quick job.

But my guess that might be the part you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-BL3Z-13K.../dp/B00M37ECTS

Yep, that's the part I replaced...and even replaced the replaced part just to be sure it wasn't a faulty part. No luck... I also did the disconnected battery trick as well.... Thanks!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by slyone
It may be that the park mode in the windshield wiper motor is bad. New w/s motor. Several of the Crown Vics I drove over the years would do stuff like this. Had one that would run the wipers when the car was off.
Good Luck

I'm thinking (hoping) it's the circuit board that's built onto the wiper motor. I've ordered a wiper motor...we shall see!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:50 PM

The wiper system is activated by the wiper/washer switch. The wiper/washer switch is mounted to the Steering column control module or (SCCM). The SCCM commands the windshield wiper motor to activate the appropriate low, high and intermittent modes.

If you have the "rain sensitive wiper" option, there has been a TSB released by Ford indicating that this is caused by the rain sensor module. It is Ford TSB 11-11-12. The fix is to replace this module.

If you do not have that option on your truck, then it is most likely just a faulty new multifunction switch/wiper switch. There has also been a TSB released by Ford for this concern as well (TSB 15-0061). The fix is an updated multifunction switch (new part number).

Try disconnecting the wiper/washer switch and see if the problem continues. If so, it's the rain sensor module. If not, the switch will need to be replaced using the updated part number.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by nobbie
The wiper system is activated by the wiper/washer switch. The wiper/washer switch is mounted to the Steering column control module or (SCCM). The SCCM commands the windshield wiper motor to activate the appropriate low, high and intermittent modes.

If you have the "rain sensitive wiper" option, there has been a TSB released by Ford indicating that this is caused by the rain sensor module. It is Ford TSB 11-11-12. The fix is to replace this module.

If you do not have that option on your truck, then it is most likely just a faulty new multifunction switch/wiper switch. There has also been a TSB released by Ford for this concern as well (TSB 15-0061). The fix is an updated multifunction switch (new part number).

Try disconnecting the wiper/washer switch and see if the problem continues. If so, it's the rain sensor module. If not, the switch will need to be replaced using the updated part number.
I don't have the "rain sensitive wiper" option. I have tried "two" new multifunction switch/wiper switches. What's the chances of both of the "new" ones being faulty? Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket instead...
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Bang
I don't have the "rain sensitive wiper" option. I have tried "two" new multifunction switch/wiper switches. What's the chances of both of the "new" ones being faulty? Maybe I should have bought a lottery ticket instead...
Have you tried running the test? Disconnecting the switch to see if that helps? If not, thats your next step. If the problem continues, it could be a faulty wiper motor/module assembly.