General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will window tint void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Will window tint void warranty?

I was finally able to bring my truck in to the dealership to get the rear sliding window (dosn't close) and rear defroster (doesn't turn on) looked at. The service rep that initially took my info down pretty much just handed me off to another person midway through getting my info. Well my rear window will open but not close unless you wiggle the switch just right and that might take 30 or more minutes. The service rep decided to try and open the window and find out himself that the window didn't close and told me, "I thought you said it closed slowly." After that he had to call a mechanic up to jump the switch to get it to close and told me, "I'll have him (mechanic) close it for you because it looks like it'll rain soon." So I guess I would be SOL if the weather was good. Well the service rep goes around to the back of the truck to tell me that the defroster won't be covered by my warranty (won't turn on) since the windows have an aftermarket tint. Is this right?

Also I would have had to leave my truck at the shop one or two days before it will be seen and that Ford will not pay for a rental because it is considered down time (waiting for service). I have one vehicle and first of all would be stuck at the shop and two not be able to go to work. At the end, the rep told me I should go to the dealership across town because they have a bigger shop.

CN: I feel the pain of people trying to get warranty work done on their trucks. Dealerships will bend over backwards to get your money but will straight up tell you to go away when they have to stand behind their product.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 93 Likes on 87 Posts

Yep, MOST of the time ( not all) that's what you run into with some of the dealers, It is give me your money then go away, too bad. Been there, done that. Sorry for your issues Georgia.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgia FX4
....Well the service rep goes around to the back of the truck to tell me that the defroster won't be covered by my warranty (won't turn on) since the windows have an aftermarket tint. Is this right?.....
I don't recall if our defroster lines are embedded within the glass, or are external to it. Regardless, unless you went to some cr*ptastic tint place that used a blade when prepping the rear window with external lines, (which is a no-no), then it is VERY unlikely that the tint install had anything to do with your issue.

Unless they can prove that the tint or the install of that tint caused a failure, it should be covered. That said, if the lines are indeed external, and they happen to find a cut in one of them, you should be going to your tint guy, cause he has some explaining to do.....
Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

If the slider doesn't close all the way then the rear defroster won't work. It's possible that all the problems are associated with the switch the dealer jumped. If that's the case then he's blowing smoke on the warranty and you should go elsewhere. Now, if the lines got damaged when the tint was installed, then yes the defroster would not be covered.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

They must prove the window tint caused the problem. Sounds like the typical dealer excuse for not helping a customer. Isn't the rear windown a well known problem?

Quick Reply: Will window tint void warranty?