General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you have nerf bars?

Old 12-23-2007, 03:25 AM
not that big

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do you have nerf bars?

I was thinking (scary, I know) But anyway, I was thinking. Why do I have nerf bars. Yes, they do help people to get in and out. Yes, they do dress up the truck a bit. But I am still young. I don't "NEED" them. But sometimes I like them. How do you feal about them?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Young, or not, they do help getting in and out of the truck. I have a 96 F150 4x4. There is no lift kit but the truck still sits a little higher than is comfortable when getting in and out. When getting out of my truck, before the nerf bars, I was sliding off the side of the seat to step to the ground. I felt that if I kept doing this I would wear out the upholstery on the driver's seat. So I installed the nerf/step bars as a way to protect the seats but it is also nice not having to "reach" a little further than is comfortable to get in and out.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:22 AM
workin for parts!!!

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

if you actually use your truck for wheelin, they can hang you up once in a while. but hey, at least your pants will stay clean while waiting for help
Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 AM

Hi guys,

so the side step pipe that I have running up both sides of the truck is called "nerf bars"?

For some reason, I thought that was another name for the roll bars that you see in the bed of trucks. Normally folks but aircraft landing lights on the roll bars. I can only suspect it is to better see the wildlife late at night.

So... I got nerf bars on my truck... amazing...

Mitch

PS. I like them alot. But The Mrs likes them alot more than I do! See pics to see why
Old 12-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mine make good rock skids, other than that, I dont like them.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Since I got my truck lifted there's no way my wife would let me get rid of them. She's only 5'3" and can't get in the truck without using the nerf bars and the oh **** handles.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them 40% for looks,
.............60% function.
Function: 40% so my wife can step into the truck.
.............20% in hopes that when Im driving where I shouldn't they protect me. So if I were high centered, that I get caught on the nerf bars and not the tranny.

Or maybe my "tranny" uses them as a step?
-Tung
Old 12-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently took mine off to paint them and haven't put them back on, now my truck looks much higher than a stock truck with a leveling kit. I think I'll keep them off, for now.

But, function wise I love them, especially when there is mud on my truck and my leg tends to rub on the paint while getting in without the steps and that would get me and my paints muddy, not good.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:14 AM
not that big

Thank you for the responses. Alot of great input. I like the idea of having them be a bumper for climbing to protect tranny and body. In worst case, if I did get stuck in the mud. It would be a good place to stand. But of course, the big decider. How much does the mrs like them? Thank you everyone.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason I have them is for my wife and kids. I think trucks look better without them. They are actually a pain for me. I dont use them to get in or out, I'm 6'2" and my truck is not lifted. I usually end up rubbing my leg on it when I get out. Thats no big deal unless the truck is dirty.

Last edited by 06KR; 12-24-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you have nerf bars?