General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some people hate Diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why do some people hate Diesel trucks

Not trying to start a war. My situation is that my Dad hates diesels and will never own one. But I know other guys who love their diesels more than their children and slightly less than their dog.

I've been shopping around for a used F150 in my search I've found that I can get a F250 gas for about the same price as a similar year/mileage F150. The diesels are a little more.

This discussion happened when my parents and uncle (mom's bro) came to visit me and my wife for the weekend. My dad is 57 my Uncle about 60. Both have worked in the Oil Field and for companies that run fleets of trucks a mix of Ford/Chevy 150/250 (both hate dodges).

I made a comment as to why neither of their companies run diesel's. And that's where I got the barrage from both that "diesels fall apart, are expensive, etc, and unless you're pulling something everyday you don't want one, and even then 'I'd rather have gas.'"

On the other hand I have a good mechanic friend that runs a shop with his dad and brother, He's in his 40's. All three of them have Ford 250 diesels with over 130,000. Not all gussied up, completely stock outside. The do run their own mix of Veg-oil/Diesel. All three use these for their daily drivers (maybe 10 min drive to/from work) and haul their boats/rvs on the weekends. They've told me that they plan on keeping these trucks forever.

I'm wondering why the extreme difference of opinion? My uncle and dad aren't mechanics, but grew up on farms working on tractors, and both have a large say in what their companies buy for fleet trucks, so they're not completely ignorant. But for three lifetime mechanics driving 3 identical trucks "forever" that are diesels, says a lot.

Not wanting a diesel vs gas mud slinging contest (although could be fun in actual mud), just discuss why the huge difference of opinion?

Last edited by rmdailey; 06-09-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Gas trucks have their purpose and diesel trucks have their purpose. That's why I have both...

Diesels got a bad rap in the 80's when chevy came out with the 6.2. It's been hard to shake...probably around the same time when your father was forming his opinion. New diesels are all electronically controlled, totally different animals from the old mechanical beasts.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by snobdds

Diesels got a bad rap in the 80's when chevy came out with the 6.2. It's been hard to shake...probably around the same time when your father was forming his opinion. New diesels are all electronically controlled, totally different animals from the old mechanical beasts.
That probably has a lot to do with it, that's one reason I included their ages. I figured there had to be something that hit them. Kinda like my first car/truck being a Nissan Frontier, NEVER AGAIN, and no member of my family will be subjected to that. And watch in 18 years my kid will want a Nissan, and it will be the best thing made, but NOPE.

I'm trying really hard to justify buying a 250 Diesel as my daily driver. I drove my friend's around town one day and you just don't get over that feel, and the seats were better than my grandpa's Navigator. But my old F150 does the job for me, a newer one will to.

[to Moderators: Sorry if this belonged in the "off-topic" thread. I debated and made a judgment call.]
Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

I know of a few old school truckers who hate diesel trucks cause of the smell, they say they had enough of the smell at work.
The following users liked this post:
RLXXI (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish I had a turbo diesel truck.

More Torque, better mileage, easy to increase power.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:16 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Some hate the smell... some claim to hate in reality its the price... some hate just to hate. I'd be surprised that if anyone that says they hate diesel trucks gets into a modern diesel of any brand and can honestly say they still hate them.
I don't own one. I don't have a real need for one but they are fun to drive
Old 06-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Dazed and Confused

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

I read diesels get better mileage but the fuel costs more. So I wonder how that affects the comparison in cost per mile.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:37 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Most hate diesel because of the pure cost.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 AM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Depends on where you grew up and vehicles you were around I think. Talk to someone from LA or New York, they just don't get why someone would want some fuel guzzling land yacht. Talk to someone like me from south Texas, well the big duallys and whatnot are actually the dream vehicle, and we don't get why anyone would want some lil boring car.

Criticizing people buying a diesel without the need of it is a pointless argument. I'd argue if we all only bought what would best suite needs, most of us would be rolling around in a Prius. It's america, get over it. My diesel gives me a passion about trucks and just gives me a great feeling driving it, doesn't matter if you need it or not, nobody has the right to criticize me for that. Most of the ones here on the forum that do that, have a f150 that can tow cars to the race track and then beat them, yet they use to get groceries and drive in the cities with. They really need them? My diesel just happens to be able to tow the f150 and the car the race track, then beat them both :P who wouldn't want that lol?

If you want and can afford one, go for it. Don't let someone's opinion keep you from getting in on that diesel power
Old 06-10-2014, 04:05 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Also keep in mind how it is more difficult to find a gas station with diesel then gas for traveling and daily. My friend has a diesel and he has to drive way farther to fill up then the gas trucks.

Quick Reply: Why do some people hate Diesel trucks