Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel of Fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 PM
cwilson 1998 F-150 xlt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel of Fire

So yesterday I was driving home in the rain and the traffic was bumper to bumper, stop and go. After a while I noticed a drag on the truck, like the brakes were on, I checked the parking brake and it was disengaged. When I rolled down the window I noticed my front left was smoking. Long story short I pulled off of the interstate and into a parking lot of a local mall and noticed my brake pad was actually on fire! Apparently the caliper had locked up. The weird thing was that it wasn't pulling to the left at all on the interstate I had recently replaced the rotors, the pads (both sides) and also the brake line on the front left. I have yet to pull the rim off as it's a work week and life gets in the way for repairs during the week (thankfully Triple A was there in 20 minutes and I was home for dinner). Here's what I think I need to do: pull both front and left and check for binding on both rotors, check the caliper front left, free caliper binding and potentially replace caliper (hope not). Replace pads front left (and potentially right although just changed them!), lubricate back of pads with silicon brake pad lubricant including where backing of pads contact caliper mounting area, bleed brakes and check to ensure there are no blockages. Is there anything else?? I've been doing brakes myself for about 30 years and this is a first. I'm wondering if I have a blockage in the brake line, the brake line I replaced was a cheap vinyl replacement made in china from advance auto.....so I'm thinking this is the culprit. Also the week previously I drove through about 2 feet of water on the way home after a wicked rain storm. If anyone has some suggestions on anything else I need to do I'm all ears(culprit #2). I drive a 1998 Ford F-150, it is an XLT extended cab 4.6L with 4 wheel drive.

Last edited by cwilson01; 07-16-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added more detail

Quick Reply: Wheel of Fire