Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the purpose of the O2 sensors on the Cataltic Converter.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whats the purpose of the O2 sensors on the Cataltic Converter.

I am having a trouble code of PO174 on my 2002 f150 with the 4.2 engine. My truck is running nice and smooth. I replaced the 2 O2 sensors before the cats. It ran good for a few days and service engine soon light came back on. The trouble code was PO174 again. We hooked on a Snap-On scanner and it showed the MAF sensor working good and 2 upstream 02 sensors good.The scanner was showing no reading on the O2 sensors that are located on the Cats.Should they be showing some type of reading or what. Also is there a way to test the O2 sensors?The funny thing is that my truck is still running good even though it has a trouble code?For some reason it only does it when it is cold out side!

Last edited by Hobart63; 01-18-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Left out information.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't have a reading which would be them switching back and forth from high to low numbers [20%-90% range] then you might have a wiring problem.
I would also think your fuel mileage is getting worse.
As for the P0174 I would think that its a intake leak being you have a 4.2 but first I would get the cat problem fixed.
Just had a thought on what would tie the two problems together, have you checked for a exhaust leak? With a big enough leak you could peg a O2 out.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:07 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

The oxygen sensors before the cat help control how the truck runs, the oxygen sensor after the cat tells the computer how well the cat is doing its job and won't affect the way the truck runs.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 AM

Bill Wiltshire I have a quick question for you.The orings and the grommets that you said that you replaced on your 2002 F150, were they available at a auto parts store or did you have to get them at a Ford Dealer?Thanks for the information that you sent me in the PM . That sounds exactly like what my truck is doing.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Answered in another pm. Dealer only. Am going to be away untill Tuesday, will check back then.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Hobart63, Ijust went through the same bunch of crap, bro. I dont know how mechanicly inclined you are, but to me, It sounds like Its time for A new set of uppr and lower intake gaskets. I know it sucks man, but That cured my problem. And I'm telling you, you're discription sounded exactly like what was going on with mine. Kep on it, dont give up on it. Changing the gaskets looks scary, but they're not that bad. Its jst like workin on and old school motor except there is a fuel rail on the top.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by oneFITTYman
Hobart63, Ijust went through the same bunch of crap, bro. I dont know how mechanicly inclined you are, but to me, It sounds like Its time for A new set of uppr and lower intake gaskets. I know it sucks man, but That cured my problem. And I'm telling you, you're discription sounded exactly like what was going on with mine. Kep on it, dont give up on it. Changing the gaskets looks scary, but they're not that bad. Its jst like workin on and old school motor except there is a fuel rail on the top.
I will probably work on itthis weekend if my local ford dealer parts people know what they are doing and can get me the parts.

Quick Reply: Whats the purpose of the O2 sensors on the Cataltic Converter.