Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in a pre owned F150?

Old 12-03-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to look for in a pre owned F150?

I'm in the process of selling my 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab and getting into an F150. So far I havent been impressed with the GMC. In fact, my son and family complain about the ride being bumpy in the second row and some weird sound buffetting when the car is being driven between 30-40mph or 65+. Ohh and there is the vibration in the whole car at 70mph. There seems to be only a small band that is tolerable.

Before I jump into the F150, I wanted to see if there is anything specifically look for in the test drive.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Rent one before you buy, that'll give you a good idea.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

GM trucks are notorious for vibration and poor ride quality. I leased a 2006 Z71 brand new and only test drove it around town. Well, I should have test driven it on the interstate because the truck shook my kidneys out. I made the dealership let me drive another just like it off the lot to compare, and it did the same thing.

Stupid me test drove a 2014 brand new (don't know what I was thinking even considering another GM) and this time I took it on the interstate. The truck shook so bad that the salesman and I couldn't hold a conversation. It was like being inside a paint shaker. I went back home and did some research, and apparently there's a TSB out for the issue.

I have no idea why GM can't make a good truck, but I had a 1988 model that stranded me three times in three years before everybody had cell phones. Needless to say I'll never touch another one.

If you want a smooth ride as your #1 priority, Ram 1500 is your truck. They are the only ones that use coil springs in the rear with a lighter spring rate. They give up some payload capacity, but they ride great.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:27 AM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

If your not really a monster truck guy but want a 'pickup' and the only thing that will go in the bed is rain or snow. Honda makes a 'pickup' truck. A customer was here from Massachusetts was telling me how tuff it was. I would imagine it rides like a car.
But my F150 rides the best of any F150's I've owned. Getting back to your original question. Look at miles and condition and warrantee after the sale. Are the tires worn ? Engine has a tic tic tic ? Test drive.

Last edited by stainlessman; 12-05-2016 at 05:30 AM. Reason: memory loss
Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove a 2011 Silverado crew cab before my current 2014 F-150 supercrew. The ride in the F-150 is much better, as is the sound dampening. I also think it's much easier to handle and maneuver in parking lots, etc.

I would play around with the stereo and entertainment features before I bought, and depending on your age/height/coordination try to get up into the bed to see if you need to get one with the tailgate step, etc. On the radio, the controls don't seem as intuitive as they should be in my 2014, and the step up into the bed is a little more difficult than the Silverado was for me.

Beyond those couple issues, I think you'll prefer the F-150 to the GM trucks, based on your post. I think the things that seem to bother you aren't as big of an issue in the F-150.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

MtFX4 makes a good point about truck height...let me reminisce about my new 1994 F150, it had 6 miles on the odometer when I bought it...straight 6 cyl, standard shift....and you could stand beside the truck and reach into the truck bed....235/70/15 tires...'Oh thoses were the days'....
And what was wrong with 15" wheels ?? I loved them. But as the truck evolved over time. Up up up and away....I've seen more then one newer pickup with a step stool in the bed. Of course Fords answer is the $700. option, the pull out step and grab handle.

Search this Thread