Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is causing my ABS Light to come on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is causing my ABS Light to come on?

What is causing my ABS Light to come on? I have a 2000 Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 Truck. I did do some basic research in an attempt to try to solve the problem... I believe there to be three brake sensors in total on this truck, two attached to the front wheel bearings and one located on the rear differential. I replaced both front wheel bearings and I also replaced the sensor located on the rear differential. The ABS Light comes on after the engine is running, only after the brakes are pushed and then released. What could be causing the light to come on? Any information or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 PM
HEMI LOL

Originally Posted by TomHope123
What is causing my ABS Light to come on? I have a 2000 Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 Truck. I did do some basic research in an attempt to try to solve the problem... I believe there to be three brake sensors in total on this truck, two attached to the front wheel bearings and one located on the rear differential. I replaced both front wheel bearings and I also replaced the sensor located on the rear differential. The ABS Light comes on after the engine is running, only after the brakes are pushed and then released. What could be causing the light to come on? Any information or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!
there could be hundreds of reasons. One of the easier is do you have a droaning sound from the front while driving that changes if you move the steering wheel slightly left and then right? With a truck a few years old it's not uncommon to have a front hub assembly go bad. Your sensor typically is part of this Hub bearing assembly and when you replace it you'll replace the sensor as well. That's the most common. Hopefully this helps a little
Old 02-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Default There is no droaning sound coming from the front....

Originally Posted by HEMI LOL
there could be hundreds of reasons. One of the easier is do you have a droaning sound from the front while driving that changes if you move the steering wheel slightly left and then right? With a truck a few years old it's not uncommon to have a front hub assembly go bad. Your sensor typically is part of this Hub bearing assembly and when you replace it you'll replace the sensor as well. That's the most common. Hopefully this helps a little
Thats for the input... There is no droaning sound coming from the front while driving and I already replaced both front wheel-bearing assemblies, both of which did come with new ABS sensors attached. The brakes work great. Do you have any other ideas as to what could be causing the ABS Light to be coming on after brakes are initially applied and then released?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try and take it to a local auto parts place such as autozone or advance auto parts, and have them scan it with their scan tool to see if there are any codes present, (they should do it for free). Sorry I'm not more help, I'm not very knowledgeable with ABS systems.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:39 PM
HEMI LOL

Originally Posted by TomHope123
Thats for the input... There is no droaning sound coming from the front while driving and I already replaced both front wheel-bearing assemblies, both of which did come with new ABS sensors attached. The brakes work great. Do you have any other ideas as to what could be causing the ABS Light to be coming on after brakes are initially applied and then released?

I'm not super versed in ABS either. i believe there is a pick up sensor in the rear diff for the rear single channel ABS. there may be something with that or a malfuntion in the accuators that control the abs. I'm pretty sure Autozone or Advance or Oreilly's wont be able to help you unless they have a pretty expensive scantool. ABS codes generally need to be read by the Dealer computer.

Just a thought but it may be worth goin to the dealer and payin the 55-90 dollar fee to have them diagnose the problem and just tell them thats all you really would like them to do and then you can fix it yourself............. you can always reset the computer by removing the battery cable for a couple minutes... i hope this helps more, i'm not really good with ABS systems. i know the old school proportioning valve systems better lol.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Hunter of Moose

Now I know the abs system in the 2000 is a little more complex(?) than that of my rear wheel abs on my 94. But in that truck, I would get the abs light before the brake light when fluid got low. Just thought I would mention it.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Abs

Un plug the sensor on the front of the Master cylinder Drive truck Stop truck shut it off unhook battery wait about 10 min's hook up everything should stay off ( Note if you have jacked the truck up and ran the rear tires it will turn the ABS on) try top first

Quick Reply: What is causing my ABS Light to come on?