General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to buy?

Hey everyone, I'm Andy. When I was a wee little lad, my father got in an argument with his brother over Ford and Chevy. After that argument my dad told me that Chevy is junk and that I must always buy Fords. Well, for my last 10 vehicles I haven't disappointed him. My current vehicle is a 2004 FX4. I wish I would have done my research before purchasing my truck. I've spent more money repairing my truck than i have on my first 4 vehicles, and guess what, it's still broke. I've finally decided enough is enough, I'm getting a newer truck. I was going to email Ford and ask them why I should keep the Ford brand. I didn't because I really don't think They'll repair.

After going through a few forums, all I see are the problems with these trucks. Makes sense that people don't come to forums and say how good there truck has run since they bought it. The forums have me scared. I'm looking at a 2011 Platinum right now with the Eco Boost. It has 65,000 miles on it. It was bought at my local Ford dealership by a local doctor. He traded it in on a brand new Dodge. Should I buy a 2011 Eco Boost with 65,000 miles on it? Should I steer away from the Eco Boosts? How about the 5.0's? are they good? It's so hard to research what to buy on forums because everyone comes to forums looking at how to fix their problems.

Bottom line, should I buy a 2011 Eco Boost with 65,000 miles on it? Or what should I buy. I'm looking at about a $30,000 budget. I don't want to go Chevy, my dad would roll over in his grave, but my 04 5.4 3V has me questioning Fords quality. Help me guys!
Old 11-01-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

that's taking the Ford vs Chevy bullcrap a little far, dont you think?

can you find a Chev in your budget that you like better than the F150? No, then buy the Ford. Yes, then buy whatever you want.

the 11 EB had some issues with condensation but there are ways to fix that IF it happens (many do not have any issues). If the truck is in good shape, Ford or not, buy what you want! and well, there are 12 gazillion threads about the EB and the 5.0 here, you wont run out of reading material...
Old 11-02-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ecopat
that's taking the Ford vs Chevy bullcrap a little far, dont you think?

can you find a Chev in your budget that you like better than the F150? No, then buy the Ford. Yes, then buy whatever you want.

the 11 EB had some issues with condensation but there are ways to fix that IF it happens (many do not have any issues). If the truck is in good shape, Ford or not, buy what you want! and well, there are 12 gazillion threads about the EB and the 5.0 here, you wont run out of reading material...
No, I don't think so. I was 5, and my dad and uncle were having a beer induced sibling rivalry, good old fashioned fun!

I can find plenty of Chevys that I like, but I can also find plenty of Fords that I like. I don't mind the look of either truck. I think what I was basically trying to ask, is what is the best year for an Eco Boost? is 12 better than 11, is 13 better than 12, and so forth. I really do want a Ford, but I guess what I really want to know is what year should I buy? How is the 5.0 compared to the Eco Boost in reliability? Is there a year or engine I should stay away from?
Old 11-02-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

From what I have been able to gather the 2013 and 2014 EcoBoost has been better overall. Less condensation issues and the reliability ratings are higher.

There are many out there with 2011-12's without any issue either, but it seems that the newer the better.

Take some for a drive and see what you like, the 5.0 is a great motor.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought a 2011 Screw Lariat Ecoboost with 61,000 miles about 7 months ago and so far it's been great. I don't regret it one bit. It was a one owner truck with dealer maintained records so I had those records as a little bit of assurance.

I test drove 2011 and 2012 Chevy's (5.3s) and to me personally, they were slow dogs. The 6.2 was out of my price range in Chevy. Dodge didn't offer the cab style preference I wanted so didn't even look at them.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A lot of people blow smoke about how good the ecoboost is but the reality is that the 5.0 is just a good, only different......the 5.0 loves to rev. It also has the added bonus of great sound and great engine braking. Do not underestimate the value of engine braking, its a huge advantage.

$30,000 for a 2011 ecoboost is ridiculous....$20,000, maybe and I would not even look at an ecoboost unless you had its full service records. A lot of ecoboost engines were lemons.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 with the 5.0, the motor is great the tranny not so much so, it's been at t he dealer for 2 1/2 weeks. My son has a 2011 and a 5.0 that has 121,000 miles on it with no issues. If Ford will take care of the tranny (it's still under warrenty) i'll be happy.

A lot of folks love the eco boost and I guess once you get used to it it may be hard to go back to the V8.

Buy one that's still under warranty
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BigBear22, if I were you, I'd just go ahead and buy whichever truck fits your needs and appeals to you the most.

Personally, I love the styling of the 2005-2007 F150 Lariat best, and it has all the features I want, and the color combos I want, and is within my price range. However, my father is trying to convince me to go for a new 2016 Chevy Colorado. The problem with the Colorado is, that one, it's more than double what I'm wanting to pay, and two, even IF I get one, I'd only be able to afford the very basic WT (work truck) trim level, and the interior only comes in gray. Plus, I'm not SURE, but I think the F150 has the taller ride height, and ride height is the most important of my criteria, along with a light (beige or tan) interior and cost.

So don't base your decision on a sense of loyalty... YOU are the one who will be living with your truck, and driving it... you are the one who has to be comfortable with it, and it should meet all your needs.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:04 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Buying a colorado, or any small truck makes no sense to me... The price is about the same as a Silverado, gets roughly the same MPG, and can tow less.... Now if the price was quite a bit less and got better MPG then that would be a different story.

Quick Reply: What to buy?