General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warrenty Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Question

I was thinking about adding some goodies to my truck some time soon! I was wondering if any of these things i have in mind will void out my warrenty or not covered under warranty if something happens to go wrong and they blame it on the aftermarket stuff.

Programmer
New wheels and tires
Exhuast
and maybe a in dash dvd player
Nerf bars and brushgaurd

Any info on this will be great..Thanks Josh

Im a newbie by the way traded in my 01 cobra for this

Last edited by 05supercrew; 01-03-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I was thinking about adding some goodies to my truck some time soon! I was wondering if any of these things i have in mind will void out my warrenty or not covered under warranty if something happens to go wrong and they blame it on the aftermarket stuff.

Programmer
New wheels and tires
Exhuast
and maybe a in dash dvd player
Nerf bars and brushgaurd

Any info on this will be great..Thanks Josh

Im a newbie by the way traded in my 01 cobra for this
Well, I don't think the tires/rims would void any warranty. Same goes for the brushguard and nerfbars. The exhaust would probably be okay so long as you don't tamper with any of the emissions related parts. The programmer might give you trouble because that may actually alter/adjust the trucks computer(?). The DVD player would probably be fine too.

That's my take on the situation.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

As far as the programmer you can always return the truck to stock if you have to make a trip to the dealership, that's what I do. I have heard mixed opinions on whether the dealerships can actually tell if you've tuned your truck or not. Irregardless of what you do to your truck to void your warranty the dealership has to be able to trace the source of any problem back to the installation of aftermarket products.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 PM
mmmm.....

by the way traded in my 01 cobra for this
:[ no me gusto lol.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the info guys! i think im just going to leave the cd player there and i got the nerf bars on the way but i didnt get the brush gaurd b/c i dont think it would look right on a 4x2?
But i do want an exhaust and tires do yall have any suggestions on what i should get for these 2 items?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by wxmcpo
As far as the programmer you can always return the truck to stock if you have to make a trip to the dealership, that's what I do. I have heard mixed opinions on whether the dealerships can actually tell if you've tuned your truck or not. Irregardless of what you do to your truck to void your warranty the dealership has to be able to trace the source of any problem back to the installation of aftermarket products.
By the way is your truck a 4x4? I was thinking about doing a lift kit but didnt think it would look right for me to do one with a 4x2 also. but i llike the way yours looks man! Very nice truck
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Inaugural TOTM

By the way is your truck a 4x4? I was thinking about doing a lift kit but didnt think it would look right for me to do one with a 4x2 also. but i llike the way yours looks man! Very nice truck
Thanks for the compliment on the truck. Mine's a 2WD and a pavement queen.

I think lifts look badd***** on our trucks whether they are 2WD or 4WD. You'll get those that say if you lift a 2WD you're just wasting your money. Those are usually 4WD owners who lift their trucks, take them through a couple of mud puddles and call if offroading. I say lift away, your truck will look great lifted and you'll love the look after it's done.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 PM

Where can i find a lift that will not void my warranty? do they have those?Also a brushgaurd like yours.
Sorry im new to the whole truck thing and dont want to lose my warranty.
And a good website for wheels and tires for our trucks?

Last edited by 05supercrew; 01-04-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:37 AM
mmmm.....

if you do it through the dealership it wont void your warranty. and im not sure about off road tires, but tirerack.com has some pretty cheap deals for street tires.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Inaugural TOTM

I have a Fabtech lift on my truck, just the basic kit because I don't take mine offroading so I saw no need to spend hundreds more for the coilovers. A good place to go for lifts is

http://www.4wheelonline.com/categori...tegoryid=26031

If you do install a 6" lift on your truck then make sure you get the 5" blocks for the rear because the 2" blocks will leave you sitting loweer in the rear than in the front.

As far as lifts that don't void your warranty, as I said earlier nothing you do should automatically void your warranty. You're covered under the Magnuson-Moss act.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm

Here's an excellent site with the exact question you're asking and what to do if you have warranty issues in the future.

http://www.trucktoyzperformance.com/support/?sub=faq

The bull bar I have on mine is a Westin and here's a link where you could get one.

http://www.accessconnect.com/Westin_Bull_Bar.htm

Although you may actually be able to find it cheaper on ebay.

For wheels and tires there are several sites out there depending on what setup you're looking for. About the only thing you're limited by is your budget. Once you start modding your truck it can get awful expensive, I have about $10k in mods on mine so far and I'm not completely through with it yet.

Hope I've been helpful, but feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Quick Reply: Warrenty Question