General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 or V8 in an F150

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 or V8 in an F150

I tend to hold to the traditional belief that if you want to tow more than a medium sized trailer, going with a V8 is more advantageous. That being said, because my family has always been on a farm and has always towed trailers, I've never been behind a pick-up with a V6 engine in it.

So then, with recent developments in engine capability, if you only need to do light work with a pick-up, is a V6 better than a V8?

I am in college and currently run a 1991 Ford F-150 5.0L V8. It is lacking in power, but does the job. I assume that modern engines and power trains can handle heavier loads than their predecessors from decades ago. I'm looking at model years 2010-2014 and up since that will be what I buy after about 3 years, or whenever my current truck is ready to die.

I don't really want a 4 door cab and I don't need an 8 foot box. A standard length box with an extended cab is plenty of truck for my use. I will tow trailers, but nothing very heavy, in the area of 3 tons at most. And I won't tow often.

I'm looking for good gas mileage and a high cruising speed since I travel by highway often. I also won't go with a car because it seems that pick-ups are built to a higher standard and thus are less prone to catastrophic failure.

So then, back to the question. Based on my described circumstances, is a V6 a better option for me than a V8 or will the difference be negligible?

Thanks!

--James
Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

Oh boy, here we go!

I chose a 5.0 V8 SCab 6.5 box for all the reasons you listed. You can't compare a '91 5.0 to today's 5.0. Just my .02.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jjtrain
I tend to hold to the traditional belief that if you want to tow more than a medium sized trailer, going with a V8 is more advantageous. That being said, because my family has always been on a farm and has always towed trailers, I've never been behind a pick-up with a V6 engine in it.
Well fortunately for you, today's V6's have FAR MORE power then your 1991 F150's V8 does.

Lets evaluate the engine spec's.
1991 5.0L V8 = 185hp / 270 lbs ft of torque http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-...in_and_Chassis
2011 3.7L V6 = 302hp / 278 lbs ft of torque http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...v6-test-review

So then, with recent developments in engine capability, if you only need to do light work with a pick-up, is a V6 better than a V8?
"Better" is a subjective term.

I usually define it by the buyers personal needs. Since you're a college student, that typically implies you're trying to penny pinch (or should be) while attending University. Looking for the most optimal MPG, is in your best interests. I'd think the V6 suits your needs for now, especially being that you don't tow super heavy trailers or 30 foot campers.

Today's V6's as you can see have more torque, and 117 more HP that your 1991 5.0L had. I think you should drive the V6 F150 first, and you'll be shocked at how fast it can move. DO NOT do it backwards, or you'll get bitten by the V8 bug......it's more fun, but obviously going to cost you more.

Last edited by CreepinDeth; 11-20-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both! The V6 in my 2011 ext. cab F150 is very adequate. If I'm careful with the right foot, I can muster around 20 mpg combined driving. I get a little better on the open road. I tow a small trailer to the local scrap yard about every 2 weeks and sometimes it carries around 6000 #'s. It does this with ease and I love it. I would go with the V6, you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by jjtrain
I am in college
If you're in college, you are well versed in the utilization of the internets, including functions that allow you to find content on various sites via indexing technology (i.e. search). When doing this you'll find the following answers to your question, which is asked just slightly less often than these questions:

- Should I change my oil every 17.3 miles?
- Can I tow Mt. Rushmore behind my F-150?
- What MPG do you get?

I think your statement that trucks are built to a higher standard than cars and less prone to catastrophic failure isn't true. Can you cite anything that shows that to be true?

If you're buying in three years, there will be much more knowledge out there about the newer engines and drivetrains, and you'll want to take those into account when you're ready to buy.

FYI, towing 6,000 pounds CAN be above the payload capacity of an F-150 and can require the use of a WDH. Read posts in the Towing section of the forum.

If you're only going to be towing once or twice a year, depending on what and where, you could borrow a vehicle. The difference in gas mileage between a truck and a fuel efficient car is quite large.

That said, the opinions on your main question are varied and there are at least three main answers:

1) V6 turbo beats the V8 due to the ability to pull better at lower speeds.
2) V8 beats the V6 if you're not towing all the time because V6 turbo is more problematic (an answer you will see on the internets, doesn't mean it's factually correct).
3) V8 sounds better, so buy it.

Good luck in your search. When you are a college graduate, assuming you're not mired in student loans, you may decide to do something totally different. 3 years is a long time.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

It comes down to what you feel the best about. I felt best about the V8, but that's my personal decision. Or you can say: eight cylenders are for real men, any less is for everyone else
Old 11-20-2014, 01:07 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

Get the V-6, it should be more than enough.
Like said above is also more powerful than what you have now.

Ford's recent V-8's are absolute DOGS and guzzle gas.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2014 5.0 screw and I am getting 19.5 highway and 17 combined with winter gas. The ecoboost doesn't do much better. I do not call that guzzling gas. And By no means is it a dog.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hendo13:
HardcoreOffroading (11-27-2014), Wanted33 (11-22-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 168 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by elfiero
It comes down to what you feel the best about. I felt best about the V8, but that's my personal decision. Or you can say: eight cylenders are for real men, any less is for everyone else
And don't forget about the cylinder rule, you need at least one for each year of age. I'm running near low and will have to buy more soon.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
Ford's recent V-8's are absolute DOGS and guzzle gas.

Quick Reply: V6 or V8 in an F150