Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use half of body kit to level/lift f150?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use half of body kit to level/lift f150?

Just got a 2010 f150 5.4 scab xtr model. I like to think I am somewhat mechanically inclined but forgive me if this is a stupid questions anyways.

The previous (original) owner had an extra leaf put on the back, so the rear is upgraded and equivalent to a 3/4 ton suspension. Ive noticed that the back end sits up a bit higher than stock, maybe an inch or inch and a half higher. It gives it a bit more rake than appeals to me so I was thinking of raising the front end a bit to level it out. However I would really like to avoid altering the suspension with a levelling kit. The truck is mint and I plan on having it for a long time, would like to avoid the added stress.

My question is, is it possible to lift just the front end of the truck a few inches with a body kit? or does the kit have to always used on both the front and back ends?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:08 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

That just sounds like a bad idea... I would just do a normal level (spacers or struts) or remove the AAL.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just remove a leaf or two in the back.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

When you say body kit do you mean body lift?
If so, then no. A body lift actually I bots the body from the frame and has spacers. If you do this the cab to bed lines won't match.

A 2" front spacer will be fine and not add any serious stress to your steering or suspension.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott91370
When you say body kit do you mean body lift?
If so, then no. A body lift actually I bots the body from the frame and has spacers. If you do this the cab to bed lines won't match.

A 2" front spacer will be fine and not add any serious stress to your steering or suspension.
Im so torn.. I understand now after looking into it more that what I mentioned earlier wouldnt work. The 2" spacer is very tempting however I have read so much online about the excess wear on cv joints, ball joints etc. im sure you've read it all too. On the other hand there are so many guys out there running levelling kits/spacers without major issues. Cant decide whether its just the non-response bias coming into play or if it really does cause serious issues on alot of trucks.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 3,926 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by bluepearlxtr
Im so torn.. I understand now after looking into it more that what I mentioned earlier wouldnt work. The 2" spacer is very tempting however I have read so much online about the excess wear on cv joints, ball joints etc. im sure you've read it all too. On the other hand there are so many guys out there running levelling kits/spacers without major issues. Cant decide whether its just the non-response bias coming into play or if it really does cause serious issues on alot of trucks.
Take most of what you read with a grain of salt. I've been running leveling kits (strut spacers) since 2006 and never had a CV or ball joint failure.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Just got a 2010 f150 5.4 scab xtr model. I like to think I am somewhat mechanically inclined but forgive me if this is a stupid questions anyways.

The previous (original) owner had an extra leaf put on the back, so the rear is upgraded and equivalent to a 3/4 ton suspension. Ive noticed that the back end sits up a bit higher than stock, maybe an inch or inch and a half higher. It gives it a bit more rake than appeals to me so I was thinking of raising the front end a bit to level it out. However I would really like to avoid altering the suspension with a levelling kit. The truck is mint and I plan on having it for a long time, would like to avoid the added stress.

My question is, is it possible to lift just the front end of the truck a few inches with a body kit? or does the kit have to always used on both the front and back ends?

Old 02-11-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by powerranger262
Why would you put this image instead of trying to help.

Sorry his/her question is below your standards for a valuable question.

The person thought enough to ask it, if you don't want to answer it that's fine. Move along
The following users liked this post:
Scott91370 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

2" spacers are fine, it's when you get into the 3" that severe wear due to poor angles come into play. But a body lift will not work in sections.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,563 Likes on 6,189 Posts

I agree with the others, add a 2" spacer up front. But please dont think because an extra leaf spring was added, that the rear is the same as a 3/4 ton truck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Summers22:
berty (02-11-2016), johnday in BFE (02-13-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Use half of body kit to level/lift f150?