General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB2 Mod with 5th Gen IPod not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USB2 Mod with 5th Gen IPod not working

I've got a 2011 F-150 Platinum with Navigation that I bought back in February of this year. I've been wanting to do the USB2 mod to it.

I purchased a male mini USB to female USB adapter and the PAC USB extension since I plan to run it to my glove box.

My iPhone 6 works just fine with USB2, but my 30gb Ipod Classic 30gb (I think it's a 5th gen) won't work. I've plugged the iPod into the USB port on the dash and it works fine. According to ITunes the iPod is up to date with the latest update.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work in USB 2?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts

You're using the ipod cable?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 AM

And if so, have you tested the cable with another unit? Computer?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM

I should have clarified. Yes, I am using a male mini USB to female USB adapter, a Female to male USB extension (PAC extension), and the iPod cable from the extension to the iPod. I ensured the iPod was updated through iTunes using the iPod cable, so I'm sure that works. In fact, when I plug into the front USB port using this cable it recognizes the device.

I know that the adapter cable and USB extension work also because I've used this (on the same port, USB2) connected to my iPhone 6 cable (different from iPod cable) and it works just fine.

The only thing I could think of is maybe the iPod draws more power than the iPhone hence the reason it will not recognize the device using the cables I have... Just a thought though.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:53 AM

I got nothin'. Maybe someone else can chime in?
Old 05-30-2015, 12:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I dug up my 120Gb iPod classic a couple of weeks ago. Initially I plugged it into the USB port and I was happy with that for awhile. I then decided to do the USB2 mod and run it out of the glove box. I plugged it in and it worked fine(more or less) right away. A couple of quirks with trying to play tracks and the truck occasionally starting up with a mexican radio station instead of sync but that's it. The other day I pulled the iPod out of the truck and put some new music on it. When I went to plug it back in Sync wouldn't recognize it anymore. I eventually fixed it. To fix it I first did a master reset. Then I turned the truck off and opened the door to make sure the radio was completely off. Next I plugged the iPod into the dash and got it working. Once it was working I shut the truck off again and unplugged the iPod and cable from the dash. Then I restarted the truck and connected the iPod using USB2. It initialized and started working again. That might be worth a try
The following users liked this post:
Dallinpt (06-02-2015)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm sure glad my new '14 E.B. Limited has two (2) USB ports.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 PM

BillUSMCEOD, thank you for your reply. I tried this today and was unsuccessful. I can register it in the USB port in the dash, but when I try to get it to work in the USB2 it says "Unsupported Device". I'm not sure if it's the adapter cable going to the USB2 port to the extension cable or a software issue with either Sync or the IPod. Maybe I'll order a different adapter/adapter cable and try that or see if I can get my hands on a "newer" iPod Classic since they decided to discontinue them for some reason.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:23 PM

Shortride, thanks for rubbing it in haha
Old 06-02-2015, 11:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try the procedure I mentioned at least one or two more times, making sure you do the master reset. It didn't work the first time for me.

Quick Reply: USB2 Mod with 5th Gen IPod not working