General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper and Lower Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upper and Lower Ball Joints

First time posting on here, hoping for a little guidance. Dealership says the upper is loose, and the lower has some play. Dealer price to fix is about a grand. I had planned to lift it this summer so I'm looking for a lift kit that comes complete with upper. Anybody come across something like this before? Anybody have deals on ball joints? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I did the upper and lower ball joints on my old 2001 f150 last year. I bought both from O'Reileys and went with moog brand. The drivers side took a while because I had never done ball joints before but the passenger side went very quick. The only part you would have to bring it in for is an alignment. I think it was a little over $300 with the alignment. I think I found the instructions on this forum and on youtube.
The following users liked this post:
donnie_darko513 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

Easy job, save the money and do it yourself. Lots of how to vids on you tube. Check rockauto for parts and get moog, don't cheap out.
The following users liked this post:
donnie_darko513 (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the research I've done, it looks like I'll have to buy the complete upper control arm and can replace just the ball joints on the lower. Going to be cutting into my lift kit fund a little bit, but doing it myself will be way cheaper than letting the dealer rob me. A little bit of info I didn't think about is marking the connections before taking it apart so that it's as close to aligned as possible for the drive to the shop for a proper alignment. Thanks for the help guys and yes MOOG looks like the way to go

Quick Reply: Upper and Lower Ball Joints