General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upper control arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upper control arms

I just had my truck in for inspection (Ford dealer), and was told I needed upper control arms (both left and right) to be able to pass inspection. The truck is only 2 years old and has 44K highway miles. I don't have any unusual tire wear and the truck handled very good. What would cause these control arms to wear so quickly (if they actually were worn at all)?
Old 10-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

The upper control arms look like a "U" and attach the upper part of the wheel assembly to the truck frame. Unless they are bent they generally do not require replacing. Also they are not a wear item. They do have bushings that could be broken, but than you would need new bushings. The ball joint could be bad but I do not think they would say "replace the whole arm". I would take it somewhere else and get a second opinion. It seems a bit weird that they both could have gotten bent. With the mileage you have and no uneven tire wear I would not see a problem. Have you done really hard off-roading? This may have bent them.

Now, this could be an issue that is common to these trucks, but I am just writing from general experience that I have had with control arms. I have never had to replace a control arm in any vehicle I have ever owned.

Last edited by dnlow; 10-03-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:47 PM

The truck is 2007 f150 4X4, I've never had it off road. The dealer wanted $671.00.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Uppers

Originally Posted by mjr3
The truck is 2007 f150 4X4, I've never had it off road. The dealer wanted $671.00.
I had to have the ones on my 97 replaced at 100K - you can't just replace the ball joints, you have to replace the whole arm because of how they were designed. Mine is a 4x2 but I've heard the same on 4x4's.

That money seems high, have you gotted a 2d estimate/opinion?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:44 PM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

its only 2yrs old? thats gay. you would really have to go hardcore off roading to bend them or hurt them. Ive some some pretty serious offroadin in my 4x2, and I think Ive flexed it all the way a couple times and traveled over extremly rough terrain at high speeds. but I just had it in for an alignment and they said my ball joints were needin replaced, a bill of $1500. Im getting a second estimate.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:05 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Here is a link to a website that is selling upper arms for about $95. It seems like a very reasonable price. The brand is Moog which I hear is pretty good. I would think they are fairly easy to change. Just compress the spring and undue the bolts and put new ones in. Again, easier said than done though. This way you could save a bunch of cash and DIY. I just wonder if they also come with bushings attached. That would be great if they had bushings and ball joint attached already.

http://www.specialtyautosource.com/2...Joint.html#app

Last edited by dnlow; 10-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:41 PM

I changed the upper control arms and lower ball joints on my 1999 F150 Lariat 4WD for $200.

The upper control arms have new bushings and ball joints.

The lower ball joints are pressed out/in to the lower control arms.

I also put in new sway bar end links.

Get the parts from Rock Auto - lowest prices anywhere.

PS - You will need an alignment when you are done.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:20 PM

I had to have all of the ball joints upper and lower, pitman and idler arms replaced on my 2001 screw. Upper ball joints are replaced as a complete arm with bushings and lower ball joints can be replaced separate of the lower arms. The idler arm and pitman arms had to be replaced. I wonder why the previous owner did not take pride in his ride? I went with Moog due to an improved design with zirk fittings, I plan on driving this truck a couple hundred thousand miles more. If you take off a failed part replace it with a better one. Put some new tires on your ride and it will be like new.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 AM

I have a 2004 F150 and I need new upper ball joints on both sides but I rationalize it because both boots are ripped. As far as I understand you can't just buy a ball joint, you have to get the whole upper control arm as well.

I went to autozone and got both for $95 each. I can't do them myself however because I put a 2.5" leveling kit in on top of the spring which doesn't allow the bolts to back out behind the spring
Old 04-25-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Before you replace those take your vehicle to the local Highway patrol to have it inspected. Dealers and garages make a lot of money off of the "it won't pass inspection" scare tactic. My dad was told by a garage his 2008 needed ball joints which requires the whole control arm. He was quoted 850 dollars. He took it to the Highway patrol and they inspected it and said it was well within tolerance and passed his inspection. They also wanted to know the name of the garage that was trying to cheat him.

Quick Reply: upper control arms