Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are upgraded brake recommended for bigger wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Are upgraded brake recommended for bigger wheels?

Looking for opinions on this... My 2014 XLT 6.2 SCAB had 17" wheels. I've swapped them for XD811's and a set of 34" Nitto Grappler G2.

Is a brake upgrade necessary or suggested? Bigger pads & rotors? No towing at all for me.

Thanks!

Last edited by NASTYXLT; 02-09-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Required? No
Suggested? Yes

Upgrading the brakes on something that has bigger wheels or tires is a great idea! Anything you can do to make the brakes perform better regardless if its modded or stock is always a good thing.

Wayne
Old 02-10-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Just make sure you do some homework before lightening your wallet on a brake upgrade. There's a lot of stuff out there that claim they will out perform the OEM equipment and don't.

Learn about proper seasoning of fresh rotors, bedding of pads and the like before spending your money. And generic methods may be ok, but learn what a specific manufacturer of each component is recommending.

Lastly, are you looking to just upgrade pads or pads/rotors or pads/rotors/hoses or a full blown upgrade with larger rotors, matching calipers and pads?

I spent many years running my Cobra on a number of great road courses and learned the hard way that most of the aftermarket "upgrades" don't even give you an improvement over stock. Heck, many aren't even as good. You want reliable and consistent braking abilities when heading into the bus stop at 110 at the end of the back straight at Watkins Glen.

Last edited by svt2205; 02-10-2016 at 01:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NASTYXLT (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks SVT! I don't have my mind set on anything, really. In all the vehicles I have ever modded, I've never had enough HP or size to worry about brakes.

I'm open to anything and everything. I don't need anything aesthetically, just something that would help the truck deal with the increased tire size and weight.

Originally Posted by svt2205
Just make sure you do some homework before lightening your wallet on a brake upgrade. There's a lot of stuff out there that claim they will out perform the OEM equipment and don't.

Learn about proper seasoning of fresh rotors, bedding of pads and the like before spending your money. And generic methods may be ok, but learn what a specific manufacturer of each component is recommending.

Lastly, are you looking to just upgrade pads or pads/rotors or pads/rotors/hoses or a full blown upgrade with larger rotors, matching calipers and pads?

Quick Reply: Are upgraded brake recommended for bigger wheels?