General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to Intercooler

Old 04-08-2007, 03:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgrade to Intercooler

Hello
I have a 1998 Lariat (daily driver) with new and improved 4.6 with Vortech supercharger. Changed from stock pulley to smaller size and went from 5 lbs of boost to 7 lbs. Then went to larger injectors and got it professionally tuned and was getting 10 lbs. I just installed a methanol injection unit and I am know getting 12.5 lbs of boost. My tuner guy with the dyno says I should go back to the larger pulley and most likely improve horsepower and torque with less boost and keep the heat down. I am going to change out the pulley tomorrow and then get it back on the dyno.
I would like to know if anyone has had success in going to an intercooler on the 4.6 engine. If so, what type?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, that sounds like one hot 4.6!

do you think we could get some pics?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:34 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by metalman
Hello
I have a 1998 Lariat (daily driver) with new and improved 4.6 with Vortech supercharger. Changed from stock pulley to smaller size and went from 5 lbs of boost to 7 lbs. Then went to larger injectors and got it professionally tuned and was getting 10 lbs. I just installed a methanol injection unit and I am know getting 12.5 lbs of boost. My tuner guy with the dyno says I should go back to the larger pulley and most likely improve horsepower and torque with less boost and keep the heat down. I am going to change out the pulley tomorrow and then get it back on the dyno.
I would like to know if anyone has had success in going to an intercooler on the 4.6 engine. If so, what type?
Thanks
Vortech should be able to provide an intercooler. But I have seen people take the intercooler off of large trucks and cut them down and install them. A air to water intoercooler is your best bet. It should fit under the hood in the truck with no problem. I would install the intercooler and keep the smaller pulley on if it were me. Though 12.5 on a stock bottem end sounds a bit high. I think staying with 10 would be the safest since it is a DD.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Big George

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A intercooler is worth the investment, It will lower the intake temperature , allowing u to run the 12 psi. It will also decrease the detonation factor at higher boost
Ebay has tons of intercoolers on there at reasonable prices!
Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks Big George
My little 4.6 puts out 297 rwhp as of now and will dyno it again tomorrow to see if the larger pulley does in fact create more hp because I don't have to take out so much timing at the top ( 14 deg @ 5250 ). I will admit it is a little heavy because of onboard compressor and tanks plus a custom torneau cover and racks, weighing in at 5750 lbs.
I will wait to hear if someone has had great success with a particular cooler and I will continue to research. The Boost Cooler from Snow is a great bang for the buck, it increased hp from 264 to 297 and torque from 290 to 306, the poor man's intercooler......
If I can run intake temp cooler with an intercooler than the methanol injection and not have to worry about stocking methanol, I am all for it.
Can anyone offer any ideas as to how cool the intake could possiblly run with an intercooler irrespective of boost pressure?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Big George

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure the methenol injection will be colder but u will not be spraying that everytime u drive...lol When I upgraded my Grand national , an turbo talons to bigger intercoolers It made it lot safer to run the high boost levels as long as u have the right amount of fuel supply with increase boost. I dropped bout .50-1 sec to my 8th mile times at the track!
I know lot of guys on the GN run the meth set up along with nice intercoolers, Meth moreless used at the track only
Old 04-08-2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by NGM
Vortech should be able to provide an intercooler. But I have seen people take the intercooler off of large trucks and cut them down and install them. A air to water intoercooler is your best bet. It should fit under the hood in the truck with no problem. I would install the intercooler and keep the smaller pulley on if it were me. Though 12.5 on a stock bottem end sounds a bit high. I think staying with 10 would be the safest since it is a DD.
hey NGM ive heard that air to air are the best intercoolers. i have no real expeirence with em but ive read air to water cools you intake air with 200+ degree water from the engine
what do you think about a2w and a2a the wat i look at it is its still an intercooler hahaha
Old 04-08-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

^ true dat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrade to Intercooler