Unexplained Text Messages received on Sync - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > General F150 Discussion

Unexplained Text Messages received on Sync

Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Unexplained Text Messages received on Sync

Happy new owner of my first F-150 (2015) but this situation is really stumping me. I ran it past both the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673 and Verizon. Neither can explain it.

I received a text message on my Sync My Ford Touch display from an ex-girlfriend. It didn't appear that the message was intended for me, but that's not 100% obvious. The strange thing is that the text does not show up on my actual phone, nor is there any record of it in the call log when I log into my Verizon account online and view a list of all text messages sent & received.

I took a photo of the message and forwarded to my ex asking her if it was intended for me. She said that not only did she not send the message to me, but that she did not write the text to ANYONE. I talked w/ Verizon and they show no record of her sending a text to me. I also talked w/ the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673 and they had no explanation either as to why a text message would show up on my Sync display but not on my cell phone.

I thought it might just be a software/Bluetooth glitch, where maybe an old text one of us sent each other might have randomly loaded from my phone to my truck, but I donít ever remember getting this particular message from her, ever. I even scrolled through months of text history with her and I donít see it as one we ever sent each other. Itís damn strange. Iím not naÔve to the fact that she might be lying when she says that she didnít send it, but the fact that it doesnít show up on my phone or in my text log per Verizon supports that.

To compound things, I just got another text from her again yesterday that doesn't appear to be intended for me (unless she wrote it to me a long time ago), and again it shows up on my Sync display but not on my cell phone and not in my test message log when I view my Verizon account online.

Every other text message that I've received in my truck on the Sync display from all other people have also appeared on my cell phone (as they're supposed to), except for the messages from her.

Iím just stumped, and based on the nature of the texts itís going to bug me if I donít figure it out. Any idea? One person said that maybe she sent the messages to me by accident, that she was able to "recall" (retract) them (hence why the don't show up on my phone or text log history) but that it couldn't be "recalled" from my Sync display. Not sure how likely that explanation is.

Anyone know how to reach a "Sync" expert at Ford corporate that will know more than the person I spoke with at the Ford Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
dewclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 02-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
Ford Customer Service

Hi dewclaw,

I'd like to help! What type of phone are you using?

Shaay

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordIVTteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #3

Odd, maybe from a sales guy that setup his phone on there. I can't even get any text to show up on my truck screen.
Ex girlfriend, is she in IT, could be messing with you....lol
Gary2014FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #4

Haha, she is an engineer, but not an IT person. Funny though.

FordIVTteam - thanks for the offer. My phone is Model Number = Droid MAXX. Android version 4.4.4
Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #5

Also, my dealer offered to have me come in and do a Sync udpate/reprogram, and re pair my phone. He also mentioned I can unpair my phone, delete it in the set up and repair.

That might be the case, but honestly, I'd almost prefer to leave it as is for a while, if more of these texts come in it might help shed light on the break up! Right now I'm just trying to understand 1) why it's happening, 2) if they're current texts that are just coming to me instead of, or in addition to, the intended recipient, or 3) could they be really old texts that are actually between her and I that are just randomly loading from my phone to Sync, due to some kind of glitch.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
Ford Customer Service

dewclaw,

You're welcome! Have you tried a soft reset to your phone? Press and hold the VOLUME down & POWER button until the device powers off (approximately ten seconds) then release all buttons.

Once the device is on and paired to the car monitor the issue. If you're still having issues, try a master reset: http://owner.ford.com/sync-technolog...c-myford-touch

Keep me in the loop.

Shaay

Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

Thanks Shaay. Any best guesses on #1-#3 above?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Ford Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewclaw View Post
Thanks Shaay. Any best guesses on #1-#3 above?
I've never seen our system pull in non-existent text. If this can't be resolved using the steps I've provided above, we'll have to submit an escalation.

Shaay

Old 02-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #9

I'm picturing your wife standing behind your shoulder breathing heavily while you franticly make **** up about your truck on a forum. "I swear babe this is just happening"
Old 02-06-2016, 02:59 AM   #10
Fleet Technician

Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortKnox View Post
I'm picturing your wife standing behind your shoulder breathing heavily while you franticly make **** up about your truck on a forum. "I swear babe this is just happening"
LOL that or his truck's name is Christine.