General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo charger reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default turbo charger reliability

I have been reading for the past several days about the ecoboost vs the 5.0 v8. There are those that love their choices. My question is just a little different. Do we have any idea if the turbos are reliable for the long haul from 150,000 to 200,000 miles. I am in the market for a new truck and I am torn between Ford and Ram. The Ram ecodiesel or the Ram 5.7 hemi or the Ford F150 with eco boost or the Ford f150 5.0 v8.

I am planning on keeping my truck a longtime, my current truck is an 06 with 135000 miles and have not had any major problems.

I know Ford used turbos on the Taurus several years ago, did they hold up? I don't want to buy a truck and at 100,000 miles have too worry about the turbo going out because they are not reliable after a certain mileage or age.
Thanks for any input.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

your question is not different, seriously.

Turbos have been used for 20+ years in all kinds of trucks (big ones) and cars (small ones, slow ones, fast ones, big ones)... and this has been discussed, debated, beaten to death...

Old timers will say that the good ol' 5.0 is a trusted reliable design, while the EB is all new crap that is not gonna last more than 50 miles at best...
Others will tell you that the turbos are the last thing you should worry about...
And more and more EB owners are reporting "high" mileage without an explosion of turbos explosions.

and if you feel like reading the same old BS for a week or so, hit the search and get at it...
Old 10-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I have been reading and searching the forums and apparently I have not seen the threads about the question I asked. I found several threads the EB or the 5.0v8 and that is not what I was asking. I was and am concerned about long term reliability of the new turbos. I also know turbos have been used in big trucks, but those turbos are different then these turbos because of epa regulations.
Old 10-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

marku, I had an Escape for about a 1 1/2yrs. It had a turbo put 100,000 mi before I got rid of it. No problems at all.
I worked for a large company that had same SUV's and we all never had problems. I had the most miles. Most of the other guys had less than 75,000 mi.
My new F150 has the 2.7 and if they build it heavy duty then they should last. I dont know why Ford is not using 100% synthetic oil but that's what I will be switching to.
I only have 600mi on mine so far and I am getting 24mpg and it has great pickup.
It has towing pkg with 3.31 rear.
The following users liked this post:
obert (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I have been reading a lot on turbo stuff for a while now. Not only on here but on other car forums as well. I have not really ready anything were there seems to be continues problem with turbos. Maybe one here and there but that is going to happen with any car part.

I would say you should not even worry about them. You will be replacing all kinds of parts that are wearable items way before a turbo will need to be replaced. Just my half a cent opinion.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:11 PM

Obert, thanks for your personal experience.I have been reading so many forums trying to find an answer to my question.Yes, there will always be a bad apple in the bunch. Have you towed anything with yours yet? Great mileage, too.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by marku
Obert, thanks for your personal experience.I have been reading so many forums trying to find an answer to my question.Yes, there will always be a bad apple in the bunch. Have you towed anything with yours yet? Great mileage, too.
No not yet I just got the truck like 2 weeks ago and the dealer had to fix a issue so I have only had the truck for like 5 days lol.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:53 AM
I'd rather be sailing.

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I can not speak for longevity other than what I've read online.
However I do have the turbos and have towed a lot. Mostly smaller and lighter than my 2013 MaxTow claims it can do!

I've towed several 22' sailboats with it over mountain passes without issue. Old truck slowed to 37mph with same boats over same pass! YIKES! Old truck not built to tow though. It had the 4.2?? motor if I remember.

Our travel trailer is 5-6Klbs and we went from North of Seattle to Southern California and back by way of crater lake and the truck had plenty of go power! BOOST ROCKS!
Oh crap, I hope my son and his WRX doesn't read this . . . .LOL!

Nothing bad to say for the 5.0 as I've never owned one.

Without a doubt if my PU went away today I'd replace it with the Ecobeast again!
Last unexpected benifit is how freakin quiet my PU is! Yeah to the store and back no big deal but for hours on end the low interior noise is great!

I do have a hotrod that makes a lot of noise though! LOL!

Scott
Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbos will more than likely outlast the motor.
2000 Dodge 3500. I'm not worried about the motor or the turbo.
Hooks and hauls 26,000 when ever it leaves the yard.

Driven trucks all my life, and I have had one turbo go out. Over 5 million miles.

The turbo is the least of your worries.
obert (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Liveaboard74
Turbos will more than likely outlast the motor.
2000 Dodge 3500. I'm not worried about the motor or the turbo.
Hooks and hauls 26,000 when ever it leaves the yard.

Driven trucks all my life, and I have had one turbo go out. Over 5 million miles.

The turbo is the least of your worries.
Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate it.
obert (10-09-2015)

Quick Reply: turbo charger reliability