Have a tune and was denied warranty due to the tune
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Tuner ? / Done to death

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Tuner ? / Done to death

Ok ok, I know these which tuners best bla bla bla questions seem to be regurgitated constantly. I hope my question is a little more fresh and as I've not seen it posted this way I'm going to assume it is.

So what I'm wondering, of those that are using a tuner and still have factory warranty. How many of you have been denied a warranty claim due to the tuner being installed on your vehicle?

I've got an SCT X4 that I'd love to use on my '15 F150 2.7L but I'm concerned it could either cause issues that void a claim or just by the mere fact that the tune is installed it could warrant a denial.

So how about it, has anyone had this happen or am I worrying about nothing?
Old 08-27-2015, 05:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Haven't had to take her in for any warranty claims but if you return the tune back to stock before you go in, it's pretty likely they will never know it was tuned, there's been speculation for many years about whether or not Ford could some how figure out if it was ever tuned but it's just that , speculation.

I know it's easy to tell if a vehicle is tuned using the Ford diagnostic computer IDS only if the vehicle remains tuned, it sets a code that lets the tech know the pcm is not the Ford calibration. When de-tuned that code is not set. I have the Ford computer and use to be a Ford dealer tech for many years, just letting you know I'm not speculating, I know what I have stated for a fact.

Now, I also have the sctx4 and run several custom tunes on my truck, not the canned tunes the programmer comes with, those are lame compared, but I also purchased a powertrain warranty along with it from stage3motorsports.com. In the unlikely event Ford denies a claim based on the tune, stage3 will pay the bill.
You can read more about their custom tunes with warranty here, http://www.stage3motorsports.com/152...ne-Bundle.html

You would have to buy the custom tunes from them to get the warranty. You already have the programmer so that's all you would need. Scroll down that page for a complete description of what is and what is not covered.

I like variety, the top 4 custom tunes are 5* with warranty, the last 2 are from MPT.

Like them all but my current DD is the 93 Towing Chill.

Last edited by RLXXI; 08-27-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:17 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Returning it to stock is best before warranty work but if the problem is serious the dealer CAN tell if it's been tuned even if you return it to stock. I don't care what anybody may say, they can if they look hard enough.

Wayne
Old 08-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Z7What
Returning it to stock is best before warranty work but if the problem is serious the dealer CAN tell if it's been tuned even if you return it to stock. I don't care what anybody may say, they can if they look hard enough.

Wayne
Ford might but not the dealer, or if you know something I don't I'd be very appreciative for the info, I have searched every nook and cranny of the Ford computer IDS on my own truck and the only time I have seen anything that even hints to being tuned is when the vehicle remains tuned and IDS connected, I've done it my self on my truck to see if I could find anything when not tuned and I'll be damned if I can find anything.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Although I'm comparing apples to oranges, when I owned a deleted 4th Gen Cummins there was a pretty big crowd against guys trying to get warranty work done on modified trucks. Although they didn't create the motto, they would always warn people, "you pay to play". Meaning that if you modified your truck, and something happened as a result of it, you were going to be the one paying for it.

I'd also assert that any sort of damage you might cause to your engine if you were to experience issues as a result of tunes, it would most likely be pretty obvious that something caused you to have the issue. Especially if your truck doesn't look stock; I.e. lift, leve, wheels, tires, excessive tinting. That would throw up some flags if your rig showed up on the back of a tow truck experiencing turbo problems...

I've often thought of doing mods like this myself though! And I have done them! They were just on a different truck!

You might be interested to know that, that's exactly HOW I ended up in my sig truck. I deleted my truck, ran it on a hot box tune, and began noticing an insidious turbo problem...I had always told myself I WOULD BE willing to "pay to play", but when I crunched the numbers, and I was looking at 5g in PARTS, my mind changed pretty quickly.

.02's
Old 08-29-2015, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Ford might but not the dealer, or if you know something I don't I'd be very appreciative for the info, I have searched every nook and cranny of the Ford computer IDS on my own truck and the only time I have seen anything that even hints to being tuned is when the vehicle remains tuned and IDS connected, I've done it my self on my truck to see if I could find anything when not tuned and I'll be damned if I can find anything.
It was explained to me there are a few ways to tell. One being the number of key cycles the vehicle has. Its it comes in with 4 on/off cycles with 20K miles then clearly it was reset. Another way to stored peak parameters. For example, if Ford pulls info and sees that the motor has a peak rpm of 6800 and knowing with the factory tune its set to 6000 they know its been adjusted and the only way to do that is via a tune. There was a 3rd way also but I cant remember.

Ford even has s TSB to look for tunes! TSB 11-07-07

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb11-07-07.pdf

Wayne
Old 08-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Answers inline:

It was explained to me there are a few ways to tell. One being the number of key cycles the vehicle has. Its it comes in with 4 on/off cycles with 20K miles then clearly it was reset.

That would be shear speculation. Maybe they had a kid that liked playing with the key while mom and dad were trying to find a way to occupy them.

Another way to stored peak parameters. For example, if Ford pulls info and sees that the motor has a peak rpm of 6800 and knowing with the factory tune its set to 6000 they know its been adjusted and the only way to do that is via a tune.

Peak parameter would have to be read in real time, those values are not stored. If the vehicle hits the shop floor un tuned, it will not reach those limits.

There was a 3rd way also but I cant remember.

Ford even has s TSB to look for tunes! TSB 11-07-07

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb11-07-07.pdf

Wayne
Old 08-29-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

It was explained to me there are a few ways to tell. One being the number of key cycles the vehicle has. Its it comes in with 4 on/off cycles with 20K miles then clearly it was reset.

That would be shear speculation. Maybe they had a kid that liked playing with the key while mom and dad were trying to find a way to occupy them.
RNL, I think the poster meant that there were not enough on/off cycles for the mileage on the vehicle.

I wonder what long-term data is reset when you install and remove a tune?
Old 08-29-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Answers inline:
I'm only the middle man bud. I'm sure there is a lot more to it. He also mentioned "Mode 9 = Ford Wins"

I can't personally confirm or deny anything man, but the person telling me this is a Current, Very Good, Master Ford Tech that had denied many warranties because of what he was able to find and just so happens to own a national known 10sec Lightning.

I must add the TSB also noted if you can't find anything to call the Ford Help Line, no telling what they have up there sleeve.

Wayne
Old 08-29-2015, 08:16 PM

I'm only the middle man bud. I'm sure there is a lot more to it. He also mentioned "Mode 9 = Ford Wins"

I can't personally confirm or deny anything man, but the person telling me this is a Current, Very Good, Master Ford Tech that had denied many warranties because of what he was able to find and just so happens to own a national known 10sec Lightning.

I must add the TSB also noted if you can't find anything to call the Ford Help Line, no telling what they have up there sleeve.

Wayne
I'll have to look again at mode 9 data, last time I did there was nothing obvious that I can remember. Ford's hotline is a joke, Not sure where they find them but plenty of times I taught them what was wrong and why, perhaps it's different now but 11 years ago it was just a group of people compiling information from tech's on the line.

Quick Reply: Tuner ? / Done to death