Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

triton 5.4 miss fire problem im stuck. help!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question triton 5.4 miss fire problem im stuck. help!

I have a 2003 5.4 f150 fx4 I have been having miss firing problems for over a year now. I have been to a auto parts store to get them to pull a code off my truck and it says I have multi miss fires and miss fires out of cylinder number 6 but I replaced the coil pack for #6 & #7 a week ago and the spark plugs have been changed recently. #6 and #7 have been the only cylinders that have been giving me trouble. I have replaced coil packs and spark plugs more than once. I have yet to find anybody with answers so will someone please give me one.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Another Cause:

Originally Posted by pyro
I have a 2003 5.4 f150 fx4 I have been having miss firing problems for over a year now. I have been to a auto parts store to get them to pull a code off my truck and it says I have multi miss fires and miss fires out of cylinder number 6 but I replaced the coil pack for #6 & #7 a week ago and the spark plugs have been changed recently. #6 and #7 have been the only cylinders that have been giving me trouble. I have replaced coil packs and spark plugs more than once. I have yet to find anybody with answers so will someone please give me one.
FWIW: My 97 4.6L has been intermittently stumbling and missing and throwing a P0308 code, misfire on cylinder #8. The truck runs well for a few days, then starts crapping out. I wiggle the injector connector and the thing smooths out....anyway, look at the injectors as a possible source of the misfire troubles you have.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 AM
1st level gearhead Annon.

Look at the injector harness as he said can be one issue as well as the injector itself.

There is a test but requires a pro level scanner from what I've been told. They say go to a Mode 6 data and the vehicle will show what cylinders are missing. Sometimes one will miss but it will blame another cylinder.

Also how is the plug looking? there are sites on how to read a plug to help
Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good morning and wish timing was different. My go to guy for these engines is on a 2 month commitment elsewhere, so I'm going to ask a couple questions. Any coolant loss? Thinking head gasket. Have you taken a compression reading? And then also when doing the work with the plugs and COP have you used the dielectric grease on assembly. Thinking moisture. Am not going to give the members name over the open forum, send me a PM and I'll see if he has the opportunity to assist. Just respecting his privacy.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Good morning and wish timing was different. My go to guy for these engines is on a 2 month commitment elsewhere, so I'm going to ask a couple questions. Any coolant loss? Thinking head gasket. Have you taken a compression reading? And then also when doing the work with the plugs and COP have you used the dielectric grease on assembly. Thinking moisture. Am not going to give the members name over the open forum, send me a PM and I'll see if he has the opportunity to assist. Just respecting his privacy.
I have not noticed any loss of coolant here lately, we have not done a compresion test yet, and I didn't think about using dieletric grease I will try that.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by mjr346
Look at the injector harness as he said can be one issue as well as the injector itself.

There is a test but requires a pro level scanner from what I've been told. They say go to a Mode 6 data and the vehicle will show what cylinders are missing. Sometimes one will miss but it will blame another cylinder.

Also how is the plug looking? there are sites on how to read a plug to help
I have played with the injectors and theres no change in the perfomance. I have double platinum plugs but I am going to change them to regular plugs today to see if that helps.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kattumaram
FWIW: My 97 4.6L has been intermittently stumbling and missing and throwing a P0308 code, misfire on cylinder #8. The truck runs well for a few days, then starts crapping out. I wiggle the injector connector and the thing smooths out....anyway, look at the injectors as a possible source of the misfire troubles you have.
I played with the injectors while the truck is running but theres no change in the tone and vibrations of the truck. its throwing a po300 and po306.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Check out Kattumurans post yesterday in the engines section. Something about the coils firing two cylinders at the same time. All new to me, am waiting for an answer.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM

check the boots on the coils also i had a misfire and it was a bad boot they can be pulled right off the coil and its recommended to replace them whenever you replace the plugs and there pretty cheap
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 PM

Default misfire multiple cylinders

my truck has been missing really, really bad lately, and i had the po300 code come up on the scanner for my triton 5.4. i have replaced a few of the coils, but never the plugs. why i didnt replace the plugs when i replaced the coils? who knows?!!! anyway, i just got done replacing all the plugs, which had 210,000 on them!!!, and the thing runs perfect. my old plugs were really white though. my next problem is why is it running so lean?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: triton 5.4 miss fire problem im stuck. help!