General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission won't shift under hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission won't shift under hard acceleration

Test drive a 2001 F150 5.4l 2wd truck today. Ran great except for the fact that if I floored it from a dead stop it didn't want to shift, it would hang in first gear until I let off the gas.

Normal driving it was fine

Truck had 115,000 miles

Transmission fluid was changed 30,000 ago

Are there any common problems that might cause this
Old 09-19-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

Google [ 2001 ford f150 transmission not shifting ]

Pertinent (?) hits ....
Old 09-19-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

Joe I've never gone to psychiatrist....but you might force me too.
The following 2 users liked this post by stainlessman:
bobkyle2 (09-21-2015), Bruski (09-19-2015)
Old 10-26-2023, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cause and effect

I can share the same problem with my 2018 F150 that became quite a saga.
First instance was a transmission overheat while interstate style driving. Some transmission oil did vent but after taking the truck to the dealership there was no apparent damage and no reason found for the overheating. That occurred around 300,000 kilometers. From that point on i monitored the trans temp continuously. Next came the problem of the transmission not upshifting upon hard acceleration. it would sit with rpm climbing to 4-5000 rpm and not shift up out of 3rd. The smell from the exhaust pointed us and those at the dealership to the catalytic converters. Those were changed (another long story - no way to save money there with after market - go straight to OEM ). and still no ability to upshift. Another 80,000 kilometers passes and it is suggest to me that since my engine still lacks the power it must be the engine - it was recommended that i get compression tests done. Well we all know the sounds and performance that would point to needing a compression test and my truck although high kilometers did not need a compression test or injectors. I was told to use octane booster - waste of time and why would Ford publish that an octane of 87 is acceptable if it was not. Then at 390,000 kilometers my water pump needed replaced. I replaced the water pump (plastic impeller) and thermostat (plastic plunger). I had to take the truck to speedy as it was still overheating and he found that the check valves in cooling system were a problem (fouled by melted plastic off impeller??). At any rate i have to wonder if the cause - effect relationship is temperature related as I am at 407,000 kilometers and my transmission is running 20 Celcius cooler on average (range now 74 C ot 90 C instead of 92 C to 100 C) and when i put the hammer down the transmission upshifts like it was brand new and as a 5.0 liter engine would in a mustang in a drag race. Cooler engine equals cooler tranny and proper performance. I have to wonder if the TCM or PCM puts the vehicle in a sort of "protect mode" when the transmission oil temperature is recording higher than average numbers. Why did i have to wait so long to figure this out myself is the next question. If this helps anyone out there with the same problem then great.

Originally Posted by Dcs1974
Test drive a 2001 F150 5.4l 2wd truck today. Ran great except for the fact that if I floored it from a dead stop it didn't want to shift, it would hang in first gear until I let off the gas.

Normal driving it was fine

Truck had 115,000 miles

Transmission fluid was changed 30,000 ago

Are there any common problems that might cause this

Quick Reply: Transmission won't shift under hard acceleration