General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission slips when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slips when cold

I first noticed around 600 miles that when my truck has been parked for several days the transmission slips when I place in in reverse. The first time it did it I thought I had put it in neutral by mistake. But it has since this it has done this problably 15 times. I now have 4200 miles on it. I took it to my dealer and left it there for a week and it never did it for them. I have been driving it and it still does it every now and then, again after it has be parked for several days. Anybody had this trouble or know what I should do now. Dealer says he needs to replicate the problem to fix it. Other than this I love the truck. It is a 2011 f150 xlt extra cab model purchased in November. I have read on this forum about the transmission shuddering or jerking but mine is as smooth as it can be.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 AM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you put it into gear, wait a few seconds before putting your foot on the gas which will make sure it is fully engaging. Maybe doesn't happen much on Fords, but on Cummins equipped Dodges not waiting before opening up the throttle is a good way to blow transmissions. That slip might just be lag of the transmission not quite being ready to get into gear fully.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Zap, The transmission is still "adapting" to your driving habits.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you talking about when it shifts around
Thirty miles an hour into third?
Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is a function of the transmission. If I put both of my new model fords in reverse and do anything more than feather the throttle there is a lag then a bump and it jerks back.

The transmission is just trying to protect itself from damage in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Mine does the same from time to time. It will also slip in drive if it's been parked for awhile. The last time it was parked for a week while we were out of town. I'm not to worried about the deal, it does fine after it catches.

Quick Reply: transmission slips when cold