General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny in H2o

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny in H2o

I drove my 06 F150 through mid-door deep water about 4 years ago. I had to in order to leave the oil rig I was servicing. Within 48 hours the trans was slipping so bad I asked my mechanic about it. He told me that any trans will be ruined after being submerged, especially when hot. I found that hard to believe, but accepted it, posted the truck on craigslist and sold it within 4 hours. The topic came up with a friend of mine today and he doubts the water thing as I did. I now have an 08 4wd F150 and I'm wondering, will any trans ruin by being submerged in water for a minute or two while driving? Or is my mech misinformed? How would water contaminate? Just Ford? My friend has a Power Wagon, swears it would never happen to him.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

extend the vent line high under the hood like offroader do...do you front/rear diff vents too...20 bucks in tube or lots more on diffs/tranny and fluid changes..

think of a water bottle in the heat/sun...lid on tight....cool nights it will collapse in the cold.... same with the vent on the tranny if below water, tranny cools and sucks in through the vent..

Quick Reply: Tranny in H2o