Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:15 AM
Jeepaholic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tire Pressure

I'm currently considering running two different light truck tire sizes on my truck: stock which is 275/55R20 or larger than stock 275/65R20; ~32 and ~34 inch, respectively. Now my question is, would running the 275/65 @ 45 psi LRE or 275/55 @ 55 psi LRD be more comfortable/economical/better? I currently have the stock p metrics on my truck and I need to get replacement tires this week as winter is coming. These tire pressures are recommended for my truck directly from a BFG representative I spoke to on the phone.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I run 40 PSI in the winter and 50 PSI in the summer
Old 11-23-2015, 06:16 PM
Jeepaholic

Originally Posted by techrep
I run 40 PSI in the winter and 50 PSI in the summer
What size tire do you run and where did you determine setting your tire pressure to those numbers?
Old 11-24-2015, 05:43 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

295/65 LRE Experience...
Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

Asking for general advice on tire pressure is like asking someone else how much they eat per day to determine how much you should eat each day. It's not really applicable. There are just too many things to be considered, and each instance should be considered individually.

The proper way to determine tire pressure for your truck/tires should be to air them up to the "recommended" amount for the tire ... then start playing with it to see where it needs to be for proper wear/ride. Use the water or chalk test to find where you get a flat, even tread patch contact on the pavement, and that's the "proper" pressure.

It's going to depend on the tire you use ... the weight of your truck ... the type of tires you have ... etc.

For example, take a 4wd supercrew loaded up with every single weight-bearing item you can put on it ... now take a RCSB 2wd stripped down to a bare minimum. Put the exact same tires on them. The supercrew is PROBABLY going to want more air in the tires since its going to weigh a good bit more than the RCSB.

Now consider this ... when you are towing or hauling a heavy load, you SHOULD air your tires up. Why? Because there is more weight bearing on the tires.

It's all "math" ... the tires need a certain amount of air pressure in them to counteract the forces/weight on them. Somewhere in there is the right amount of air pressure for YOUR truck to make sure the tires contact the pavement properly. You're going to just have to play with the air pressure a little to find where that spot is for YOU.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 05:49 PM
Jeepaholic

Originally Posted by Wiggum
Asking for general advice on tire pressure is like asking someone else how much they eat per day to determine how much you should eat each day. It's not really applicable. There are just too many things to be considered, and each instance should be considered individually.

The proper way to determine tire pressure for your truck/tires should be to air them up to the "recommended" amount for the tire ... then start playing with it to see where it needs to be for proper wear/ride. Use the water or chalk test to find where you get a flat, even tread patch contact on the pavement, and that's the "proper" pressure.

It's going to depend on the tire you use ... the weight of your truck ... the type of tires you have ... etc.

For example, take a 4wd supercrew loaded up with every single weight-bearing item you can put on it ... now take a RCSB 2wd stripped down to a bare minimum. Put the exact same tires on them. The supercrew is PROBABLY going to want more air in the tires since its going to weigh a good bit more than the RCSB.

Now consider this ... when you are towing or hauling a heavy load, you SHOULD air your tires up. Why? Because there is more weight bearing on the tires.

It's all "math" ... the tires need a certain amount of air pressure in them to counteract the forces/weight on them. Somewhere in there is the right amount of air pressure for YOUR truck to make sure the tires contact the pavement properly. You're going to just have to play with the air pressure a little to find where that spot is for YOU.
I understand that you should adjust your tire pressure depending on the weight of the vehicle but how do you determine the right psi for your set up? Do you go to a CAT scale and get your normal operating weight and then do you plug it into a formula because I have not seen any. I have heard the chalk test is also not a tell-tale indicator of proper pressure. I was not asking what tire pressure to run, I'm wondering if running 275/65 @ 45 psi LRE or 275/55 @ 55 psi LRD be more comfortable/economical/better? As stated in my OP
Old 11-24-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

45 psi will give you a better ride...55 psi will give you better fuel mileage,
would you actually notice any difference in ride or mileage ? No

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure