General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted window visor removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tinted window visor removal

Anyone know how to safely remove tinted window visors/wind deflectors?
One of mine got damaged and I need to replace it.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ford-fx
Anyone know how to safely remove tinted window visors/wind deflectors?
One of mine got damaged and I need to replace it.
if its the stick on type, good luck. 3m makes an adhesive remover. it works ok but still tedious work.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Heat it up with a heat gun (carefully) or use a blow dryer to heat up the adhesive. Pull it off. If you keep the adhesive heated up you can roll most of it off like a booger. The rest can come off with acetone or goo gone. Then clean it up with alcohol and re-install the new one.
Good luck!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Posttal

Goo Gone is a wondeful thing..and safe to use.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on past experience with another truck, I find the utmost easiest way to remove them is to:

Argue with the wife for a week about how you should have spent the money on a pair of shoes she will only wear once rather than the visors which will be on the truck for ever. Have her complain if the window is rolled down even the slightest bit because it could potentially mess up her hair, even with the visors. While she is still being vocal about the whole thing, drive down the freeway and as soon as you hit 65 mph in the fast lane, the visor will remove itself from the truck and hit a Camry in the lane next to you. I think that's the best.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hiddenmickey
Based on past experience with another truck, I find the utmost easiest way to remove them is to:

Argue with the wife for a week about how you should have spent the money on a pair of shoes she will only wear once rather than the visors which will be on the truck for ever. Have her complain if the window is rolled down even the slightest bit because it could potentially mess up her hair, even with the visors. While she is still being vocal about the whole thing, drive down the freeway and as soon as you hit 65 mph in the fast lane, the visor will remove itself from the truck and hit a Camry in the lane next to you. I think that's the best.
LOL, I will have to try this method. Seems like i'm already half way through the process...
Except in my case, she was the one who broke the passanger side deflector, she tried to take matters into her own hands, didn't work very well. Now I need to remove the passanger side deflector and replace with a new one. Think i'll try the heat source and goo gone method.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Use a heavy wieght piece of fishing line, and gloves, and "saw" the 3M tape between the body and vent visor piece. Once off, use paint thinner, or acrysol, or similar, to clean off the residue.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hiddenmickey

Now that is funny!!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Acetone

Originally Posted by jomedic
The rest can come off with acetone or goo gone.
Careful if you use acetone or other solvents. There's always a chance you could damage your clearcoat with some of them. Saw a hood once the guy said he used acetone on and wherever it was wiped, the clearcoat was basically gone.

If nothing else, try it in an out-of-the-way spot first to test it out.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:02 PM

The fishing line worked great. Now for some goo gone.

Quick Reply: Tinted window visor removal