Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain/Tensioner issues? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain/Tensioner issues? Help.

Hey guys, I have an 04 5.4L 3V Ford F150. Bought it used about 3 years ago in great condition. Except for one thing that has stuck with it since the day I bought it. A loud rattle at start up. It does it for about 2 seconds when I crank it for the first time of the day, but if it sits for maybe even an hour it still will get a slight rattle. One thing I notice is after a fresh oil change, it won't rattle as bad, but still rattles. But after a week or so it will return to the loud rattle. Ive been researching a lot and narrowed it down to timing chain and or tensioner (although I'm not 100% sure). I also used the recommended oil, I use a farm oil filter. Everybody says I need a motocraft filter and that will solve all my problems(not sure it will, still haven't tried it). Any input would be great.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

The anti-drain back valves on the fram filters are not the best causing rattle at start-up,hopefully it hasn't hurt the engine. You were told what to do already.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:54 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

^^^ agreed. Spend the extra $2 and get a Motorcraft FL820S. There are other premium filters with silicone anti-drainback valves, but the Motorcraft is more reasonably priced.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Thanks guys, and as far as it messing up the engine would there be any way I can tell if it has? Im guessing starting it without oil in the cylinders immediately could be one way.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by wyatt122
Thanks guys, and as far as it messing up the engine would there be any way I can tell if it has? Im guessing starting it without oil in the cylinders immediately could be one way.
Kind of. The phasers can fail early because of this. But they also fail early because of blown timing chain tensioner seals. Those seals can also cause chain rattle at start up. Basically, if your truck sounds like a diesel after it's warmed up, the timing system needs to be replaced. That's just the basic idea though, there are more details to it.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

I was talking to my mechanic about some of these 5.4 phaser and chain issues and he said that anyone who had an issue would be better off getting a Jasper engine sine you have to tear so much apart to get the stuff fixed. At least with a Jasper engine you have a 3 year warranty. The cost difference probably isn't that much more.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:34 PM

That depends on your definition of "much more." The highest I've seen people pay a dealer to replace the chains, tensioners, guides, phasers, etc. is around 3k. I did it with OEM parts, and a few extra things for around 700. I think a Jasper motor is around 5500, plus install.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes this issue is let go so long that a new motor is required. It's a case by case scenario. I don't think that everyone with this issue should immediately assume the motor is shot.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when the tensioners,guides and solenoids are bad you will hear a rattle at all times.i sell ford parts at a dealer,it's about 1100.00 bucks list price.8-10 hrs labor i think.make that fix and you have alot of life left in that powerplant.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:48 PM

So if you have the tensioner slapping sound, if the truck runs perfect and smooth at all times, do you need to repair it? Will the timing chain eventually wear out? IF the chain breaks while your driving, will this ruin the motor or would you just do the same repair as though you were doing it beforehand.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by TedK
So if you have the tensioner slapping sound, if the truck runs perfect and smooth at all times, do you need to repair it? Will the timing chain eventually wear out? IF the chain breaks while your driving, will this ruin the motor or would you just do the same repair as though you were doing it beforehand.
Yes, no, yes.
The danger isn't that the timing chain will break. The danger is low oil pressure. That can destroy the motor if it's not fixed. When the tensioner seals blow out, that automatically reduces oil pressure. It also is what causes the chain to slap against the guides, which are plastic. The plastic can block the oil pump, causing a restriction in oil flow. The reduced oil pressure causes the phasers to fail (which is what makes it sound like a diesel). It can also damage the cam journals and camshaft itself.
Most of the time, the motor will still run good for a while, even though there is damage being done. It's best to take care of it as soon as possible, so you don't risk causing unreversable damage.
The following users liked this post:
TedK (11-23-2014)

Quick Reply: Timing chain/Tensioner issues? Help.