General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading in my '14 STX

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking of trading in my '14 STX

I love my f-150 but I've come to the point where I need something more heavy duty. I've never traded in a vehicle for another vehicle before. I need a 3/4 or 1 ton with an 8 foot bed and had my eye on a 2000 7.3L. I want to get a powerstroke but not to sure about the newer ones, I've read about a lot of problems with new diesels because of all the emissions regulations put on them (not just fords). I still owe ~22k on my truck... Will a dealership let you trade in for something cheaper and walk out with some money or do trade ins generally only work when you're applying it to a more expensive vehicle? Wish I had gotten a super crew so I could just give it to my wife as a mom truck but it looks like I'll have to part ways with it. Just looking for advice on the best route for trading it in for something of similar or lesser value... I'm not looking to spend 50k on a new diesel.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

It really depends on the dealer. The majority will let you choose a cheaper vehicle, the question though is how much they will give you for yours.

It depends on your mileage and options, but you may very well be able to get 22k out of your truck. These trucks are holding their value really well. The KBB on my 2015 is 32k.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The dealership will low ball the **** out of you.

I traded my Nissan Frontier in two days ago. They "gave" me the high end of KBB trade in valud for it saying they were doing me a favor, but applied all sorts of deductions to it. $150 for an OIL CHANGE, $500 for a paint polish, $2150 to remove dings, $750 to buff out a scratch, etc. By the end of it, it was down to about $4000 after all was said and done.

I didn't feel like haggling, so I said, "I'm going to make this easy. I have a carmax offer here for $10,500. Match it or not, I don't care." and left it at that.

They didn't match it, they came back a bit under but I took the offer so I wouldn't have to coordinate getting someone else down there to drive my old truck off or anything like that.

So, if you do absolutely nothing else, go see what Carmax will give you for it. You'll have that as a rock bottom price to accept from the dealer. Try negotiating with the dealer first, and if they refuse, show them the carmax offer. If they won't match it, then negotiate the price for the truck you want without a trade in and sell your car at Carmax. Carmax quotes are good for 7 days.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

On top of what the other two posts recommend, be sure to prepare yourself for the fact that the larger truck you want will be much different, pertaining to parking and maneuvering. When I switched from an extended cab with its 6.5 bed to a screw with the 8 foot bed and drove it into a parking spot the first time, it was an "experience"! Large, and requires a bit wider swing to get into a spot.

But hauling? The diesel will pull a small house off its foundation!

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in my '14 STX