General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate lift assist / torsion rod removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate lift assist / torsion rod removal

my 09 lariat started making the popping sound when shutting the tailgate.
I have searched for days on this topic and there are a million threads between here and other forums. Most of them are not too helpful. However, I have found the TSB for the issue. I currently have a new rod ordered, but having troubles getting the old one out.

I am hoping someone that has replaced it can help me out here.

I have removed my tailgate. Loosen the clamp bolt as described in the tsb, then tried pulling the rod out. Still wouln't budge so I loosened the bolt a little more then 2-3 turns as the tsb states. Next thing it says to do if it won't come out is to drill a 8mm hole into the right hinge side to access the end of the rod to hit with a drift. If I hit it any harder, I am afraid im going to really start hurting the tailgate itself. I am throwing some pretty good blows at this too. Anyone have this issue?

Last edited by systeminc; 05-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 05 f150 with the same popping. Mine was more of a loud snap, two snaps to be exact. Embarrassingly loud.

I sprayed liquid wrench (soaked it) in each end and along the tailgate where there is any opening to get it in there. It took 2 applications of lubricant and a week for it to migrate throughout the torsion bar but the noise is gone.

I was sure my torsion bar was toast. I hear they take some time to replace so you might want to give some liquid wrench or other spray lube a try.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen where people have lubricated it to get rid of the noise. I am actually replacing the assembly itself. Just can't get it out...
Old 05-09-2015, 03:24 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

From my 2011 service manual.
Removal

1. If equipped, disconnect the reverse camera wiring harness connector from the main harness and release the retaining clip. Slide the harness through the box crossmember.

2. Remove the tailgate from the vehicle.

• Detach both tailgate support cables from the sides of the pickup bed, then lower the tailgate to approximately 41 degrees from vertical.

Pull the RH side of the gate out and away from the hinge.

3. Raise the gate back up to approximately 10 degrees from vertical while keeping the RH tailgate pivot close to the hinge. Slide the tailgate to the right

to release the LH hinge.

4. Set the tailgate on a no-scratch surface.

5. Loosen the clamp block machine screw 2-3 turns.

6. Remove the torsion rod from the tailgate. If the broken end of the torsion rod is stuck in the clamp block, carry out Steps 7 through 11.

7. Remove the urethane bushing from the RH pivot.

8. From the hole in the base of the RH pivot, drill an 8 mm (0.31 in) access hole through the tailgate inner panel.

9. NOTE:

Portions of the tailgate are removed for clarity.

Use a drift to press the broken end of the rod from the clamp block, then remove broken end through drain hole in the bottom edge of the tailgate.

10. Seal the 8 mm (0.31 in) access hole in the tailgate inner panel with silicone gasket and sealant.

11. Install the urethane bushing in the RH pivot.

Installation

1. NOTE:

Portions of the tailgate are removed for clarity.

Install a new torsion rod through the LH pivot. Guide the rod into the clamp block.

2. NOTE:

The torsion rod must be installed with the same orientation as shown.

Position the torsion rod so that the end bottoms out and is flush with the LH pivot.

3. Tighten the 2 clamp block machine screws.

• To install, tighten to 14 Nm (124 lb-in).

4. Position the reverse camera wiring harness through the box crossmember.

5. Position the tailgate so the LH tailgate pivot is close to the LH hinge and the tailgate is approximately 10 degrees from vertical. Keep the RH tailgate

pivot close to the RH hinge, then slide the tailgate left to engage the LH pivot on the LH hinge.

6. Position the tailgate so that it is approximately 41 degrees from vertical. Push the RH pivot onto the hinge. Attach both tailgate support cables to the

sides of the pickup bed.

7. Connect the reverse camera

Quick Reply: Tailgate lift assist / torsion rod removal