Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic oils. May start running Mobil 1 or Amsoil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oils. May start running Mobil 1 or Amsoil?

Im sure there are other threads on this, but I am thinking of running full synthetic in my truck. I got a buddy that works at Amsoil and he can only recommend their 0-30 Signature Series oil. Otherwise he says to go with Mobil 1. I see Wal-mart here has 5-30 Mobil 1 Truck/SUV full synthetic for $23.50 for the big jug. Good buy? Or what other oils are better? Does anyone else run this oil?

also, whats a good oil filter that doesnt cost $10+? Are purolator pureone's good?

thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Sup

23.50 is a good price, and i try to use motorcraft filters. if not fram. purolators are good too
Old 04-04-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If he has high praise for the Amsoil 0w30 why aren't you considering using it but instead Mobil 5w30? Other than cost that is, since Amsoil is around $8 a quart.

Why doesn't your Amsoil buddy praise their other weight oils - 5w20 etc.?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 AM

I run AMSOIL oil and filter in my f150, I am have not had to change the oil yet, however AMSOIL claims on a vehicle that is not driven hard, the oil should be changed at 25,000 miles, or 1 year which ever comes first. I kinda questioned this, until I talked to a guy I know that is a rocket scientist, and he said its the real deal. The new synthetic oils just do not break down like conventional oil. We'll see I guess. Also Amsoil has a compatability chart on their website in the event that the exact weight for the f150 isn't matched by AMSOIL.

))--SLIVER-->
Old 04-05-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by kydsid
If he has high praise for the Amsoil 0w30 why aren't you considering using it but instead Mobil 5w30? Other than cost that is, since Amsoil is around $8 a quart.

Why doesn't your Amsoil buddy praise their other weight oils - 5w20 etc.?
He has high praise for their SSO oil (the 0w-30), but thats $11.30/qt at napa. He can get me it cheaper, but not until this summer, its very hard to come by that oil for the employees there. They can get tons of 2-stroke oil for our sleds and the cheaper Amsoil oils but thats about it.

Of course he praises them, but he told me flat out to run Mobil 1 until he can get me some cases of SSO. And also, another friend of ours who has a similar truck to mine ran amsoil 0-20 (which claims to cover 5-20 warranty) and at 55k miles on the truck, he is starting to get some knocking so he went back to 5w-20 motorcraft
Old 04-05-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire660R
He has high praise for their SSO oil (the 0w-30), but thats $11.30/qt at napa. He can get me it cheaper, but not until this summer, its very hard to come by that oil for the employees there. They can get tons of 2-stroke oil for our sleds and the cheaper Amsoil oils but thats about it.

Of course he praises them, but he told me flat out to run Mobil 1 until he can get me some cases of SSO. And also, another friend of ours who has a similar truck to mine ran amsoil 0-20 (which claims to cover 5-20 warranty) and at 55k miles on the truck, he is starting to get some knocking so he went back to 5w-20 motorcraft

If you become a preffered customer, $20 year, the price of Amsoil drops to $8 something a quart. All you have to do is find you closest dealer on their site and go pick it up for that price. A lot of the dealers are just guys in their garages, if that bothers you. Otherwise their are a few depots around the country you can pickup at. If your dealer doesn't have it you can have them ship it to you direct or your dealer.

SLIVER: Remember that 25k claim is only when using Amsoil filters and replacing the filter at 12.k or 6months.

Hope everyone finds all that useful. I still haven't decided what to use in the new truck. Read a lot on how finicky the new 4.6 3v can be or was I reading 5.4 threads, lol. In any case I have used Amsoil 0w30 in my car since day one 8 years ago and it is still running like a champ. Then again probably would be if I used regular oil.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Each to His Own:

My '97 XLT likes Mobil 1 0W30. My '94 LTC likes Mobil 1 High-Mileage 5W30. Either of the lubes costs about 23 bucks for 5 quarts. I change out the oil in either vehicle at 3000-5000 mile intervals or six months, whichever comes first, and employ Motorcraft filters.

If Amsoil impresses you favorably, and the cost certainly impresses me, then go with Amsoil, but I'll be dam*ed if I'd run the stuff 25,000 miles between changes.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just recently switched to Mobile 1 5w-30 and a fram tough guard filter. Truck seems to run much better.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 AM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossfire660R
also, whats a good oil filter that doesnt cost $10+? Are purolator pureone's good?
Wait a tick, you're willing to pay a premium for amsoil but want to skimp on a filter?
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default If you're gonna go Synthetic...

Run some Royal Purple. I have had this in my truck since the first change. Synthetic RP = Engine, Trans, Diff. Everytime I do a change in any one of those drivetrain components, i can feel the revival it gives them. Just my $.02. Feel free to return any change if I overpaid

Quick Reply: Synthetic oils. May start running Mobil 1 or Amsoil?