General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic or conventional? 220k 5.4l f150

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic or conventional? 220k 5.4l f150

So I have a 02 Ford f150 5.4l. Has a ticking noise. Was wondering what you would recommend as far as conventional or synthetic to get the most miles out of this engine. Would it be better to do synthetic high mileage, conventional with additive like Lucas or something? Or just straight Ford sb 5/20 like so many have recommended? Just looking to get 100k more out of this engine
Old 10-21-2016, 04:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

At 220,000 miles why not use what has been used this far? It seems to be working for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by grizzstang:
PawPaw (10-21-2016), UncleFester (10-25-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Albert Wickam Jr.
So I have a 02 Ford f150 5.4l. Has a ticking noise. Was wondering what you would recommend as far as conventional or synthetic to get the most miles out of this engine. Would it be better to do synthetic high mileage, conventional with additive like Lucas or something? Or just straight Ford sb 5/20 like so many have recommended? Just looking to get 100k more out of this engine
The MC Syn Blend is a great oil if you haven't used it already. I'd keep using whatever you've been using and just hope the ticking may be an injector. Oil additives are mostly a thing of the past and could change the viscosity and gravity/density of the oil that its added to. Drive the vehicle easy and no reason not to get another 100K miles.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by grizzstang
At 220,000 miles why not use what has been used this far? It seems to be working for you.
I agree!!
Old 10-22-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I have played with different oils in my motorcycle mostly because the bike seems to react more to different oils than a car does. I also did a little shop floor testing and a little playing with a truck which burned oil severely.

First off you need to get this truck into a garage and see exactly what the ticking is. If its injectors than get the injector changed. If its bearings or lifters than you can think about going to a heavier oil. Nothing drastic but a 10W30 synthetic would probably do it. Please keep in mind that a 10W30 Mobile 1 synthetic is thinner at room temp than a 5W20 conventional. As an example I played with the oil in my motorcycle which called for 10W40. Is now uses 20W50 synthetic. The 20W50 lasts longer and the bike definitely runs better. 30,000 miles and counting. If you are having trouble believing me than go to YouTube and look up 'oil pour testing' by mattmopar440. Its an eye opener.

People treat oils like some sort of holy relic and I doubt very much that any of these people have actually tested or played with the stuff. They just read the internet and give advice based on that.

As far as the argument that 5w20 got you this far so keep on using it is not how I see it. The 5W20 did work for 220k but is not working now and it has resulted in some form of damage or sticking.....if you continue to use 5W20 the problem will only get worse.

I have to add something here. My advice to you is from my own experience and although I stand by it it just may not work for you. Your truck, a 2002 with 220k, may very well like what I suggest or it may not but you will not know until you try.

Recognize that the truck is a bit of an oldie and that it may give up at any moment regardless of the oil or anything else that you do.