Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic automatic transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:08 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default synthetic automatic transmission fluid

What are the the advantages of synthetic transmission fluid?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably about the same as the benefits of synthetic motor oil. Longer use with less breakdown of the fluid from heat/stress.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:22 PM

I remember when the first synthetic gear oils came out. It was back in my VW air cooled days. during the winter It was alway hard to get the transaxles on these things in gear. I switched to the synthetic gear oil and not only did it fix the hard sifting is improved the gas mileage. From that point on I was absolutely sold on synthetic gear oil. I had a VW Rabbit and put some Mobile One in when Mobile One first hit the market and it started to go through oil like it was beer at a biker bar. Which put me off of synthetic motor oil.

I have used Castrol Oil for most of the last 40 years. Started with the Air cooled VW in the late 60's, it was the only oil at the time which could stand up in those little boxer 4 bangers. I used to drive all the way from Cheyenne to a parts store in Boulder, Colorado to get it. I see no reason to change now, except I am intrigued by the Royal Purple brand. I see it all the time on the Power Block on Spike, they are major sponsors of course.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Ford Mercon V is a semisynthetic. It is used because of its resistance to heat, ease of prodcution as older Mercons were made of whale and/or pig oil, and a reduction is organic particulate matter at heat breakdown. The man who wrote the TSB requiring MerconV is also the same guy who engineered the 4R70W and who also started a little company called SCT.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Oh you mean the Seattle Children's Theater?

Wow interesting site, I suppose my truck is to old to have much there but it is fun looking.

http://www.sctflash.com/index.php
Old 01-13-2008, 04:10 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

honestly ive heard alot of good things for royal purple but for my race cars i have built, the only fluid i reach for is syncromesh, the best thing gm ever put its name of short of the h1, its made by pennzoil/quaker state and its for sale cheaper then the gm brand at autozones, the gm brand is same fluid, diffrent bottle so gm can charge more because some gm cars need the fluid by part number so the dealer charges more to screw the end user....

anyways heres some links praising the 'mesh
http://www.stealth316.com/2-pennzoil-synchromesh.htm
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...=125883&page=1
Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a full oil change to Royal Purple and Have actually seen a increase in Gas Milage, horse power, and torque. I am getting ready to do my transmission fluid and my Rear Diff. I am also going to do it in my other vehicles.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM
'96 F150XL 4.9LI6/5sp.

I worked in quality control for seven years for an oem manufacturer of torque converters and have seen many tests and results using synthetic ATF. Though synthetics are engineered for longer life they almost always caused premature wear on thrust surfaces in the torque converters we tested. I do not know the brands of synthetic ATF used but i would do a little research before putting these lubricants in your transmission.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by GRIPPER
I worked in quality control for seven years for an oem manufacturer of torque converters and have seen many tests and results using synthetic ATF. Though synthetics are engineered for longer life they almost always caused premature wear on thrust surfaces in the torque converters we tested. I do not know the brands of synthetic ATF used but i would do a little research before putting these lubricants in your transmission.
Interesting I think for now I am going to let a sleeping dog lie. My Transmisson is functioning well and I don't want to do anything that
change that.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by GRIPPER
Many newer Fords REQUIRE Mercon-V ATF, which is a semi-synthetic fluid.

It is true that older Fords, such as those that use Type-F transmission fluid, will have converter issues when swapped to sythetic fluids. Even Mobil1 has been found to cause premature stator wear, but the fluid is a listed as "compatible with Mercon", which is NOT the same as Mercon-V.

For a newer Ford F-series, Explorer etc. (be sure to check the manufacturers requirements first) you will MOST LIKELY require Mercon-V fluid. anything else, clones or compatible, will simply kill the transmission.

Last edited by ozmedia; 02-14-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Quick Reply: synthetic automatic transmission fluid