Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super cab vs super crew cab

Old 09-03-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Super cab vs super crew cab

Still looking at getting a new truck. I drive a 04 super cab but notice just about every 15 thru 16 is a screw cab? Do most people buy these just because it's readily available and on the lot? Or do they hold more resale value or more demand vs the super cab? Please post up any pics of your super cab trucks. Thanks
Old 09-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,122 Likes on 2,829 Posts

Originally Posted by TxFord150
Still looking at getting a new truck. I drive a 04 super cab but notice just about every 15 thru 16 is a screw cab? Do most people buy these just because it's readily available and on the lot? Or do they hold more resale value or more demand vs the super cab? Please post up any pics of your super cab trucks. Thanks
10 years ago the regular cab truck was dying. Now the extended cab truck is facing the same fate.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

4 doors are plentiful but there's a good selection of supercab, although most of the ones on the lots tend to be XLT, some are XL and even fewer are Lariat trim.

After 3 supercrew trucks, my 16 F150 is a supercab. Do I have regrets? No, absolutely not. I wanted a comfortable truck primarily with at least 6.5' bed length as a tow vehicle for runs to the track. If you have a family, naturally, the supercrew makes sense. In my case, I didn't need it and saved money with the supercab trim.

If you are looking for resale, I would believe supercrew would be more in demand than a supercab. But the price difference between the cab choices made it easy for me to say yes to the extended cab.

Let me say some of the Lariat supercabs are awfully close to the supercrew pricing - dealer discounting should be greater on the extended cabs to get the sale done.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

Ford still uses the "suicide" doors on the extended cab versions and at least give the appearance of the smallest rear seat compared to the others. I haven't actually compared the specs so it might just be an illusion. I looked at Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Tundra before buying my Screw. I could have lived with the extended cab Tundra and seriously considered it. But just didn't feel the back seat of the extended cab Ford was any place I'd want an adult friend of mine to have to endure. If you just need rear seat storage then it might be OK. But for passengers to ride, buy the Screw.

I had a 1998 extended cab F-150 when my kids were small. It worked great for 3-4 years but kids grow up. My son was 6'3", 240 lbs and wore a size 14 shoe by 10th grade. Putting him in that back seat for more than a few miles was cruel.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Discussed often on the forum. Depends on WHERE you are in the country, and what your needs are - combined with such silly things as "will it fit in my garage?" and "how often do I put full-sized people in the back?". So the answers you get, out of context, are useless. Even in context you're missing key things. Where are the most King Ranch models sold? Not available except as SuperCrew.

We wanted a 6.5 foot bed, and have hauled over 8 tons of metal alone in it. Having the smaller bed would have required more trips. So, given the garage size, we had to get a SuperCab (I don't park outside when I paid for a house with a garage). It is nice that the 2015+ doors fold all the way back, they didn't prior to that.

Of course you are paying thousands more for 2 more real doors and a bigger back seat (and a smaller bed if you don't want a longer truck).
Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

My reason for the super cab was simple, I wanted that little bit of extra space just incase and had no need for a people hauler. I traded a 7 passenger Explorer in on her.

Cost was never a factor, I wanted what I wanted and price be damned.

The pics you requested....

The following 2 users liked this post by RLXXI:
Husker (09-09-2016), rmc63 (04-02-2019)
Old 09-04-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
My reason for the super cab was simple, I wanted that little bit of extra space just incase and had no need for a people hauler. I traded a 7 passenger Explorer in on her.

The pics you requested....

Wow!!!! That's a beautiful truck congrats
The following users liked this post:
RLXXI (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,051 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp

Exactly my thoughts. My cab is large enough for my dog/wife, whenever they're with me. I don't want a whole herd of people in my truck anyway, so my Scab can work as a deterrent.
Plus, IMO, the Scab just looks right. I've had 5 Scabs since 1997, my '12 has been the shortest bed yet.
The Screw is nice, I've had a number of Screw loaners, and never really noticed the additional length, they all had the "long [] bed", the 6 1/2' that is.
Best thing, get whatever one you like, and works for you.

I really think the Screws, no matter what maker, are really being used as a big car, like a '75 LTD or Olds 98. SARCASM people, SARCASM.

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 09-04-2016 at 10:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnday in BFE:
moparado (04-01-2019), RLXXI (09-04-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

For me, I didn't want a super crew because of the added length of the truck along with a 6.5 ft box. 5.5 ft short box is useless in my eyes when paired to a super crew. As well as the added cost of a super crew and how often I haul more that 1 passenger...a super cab was a no brainer
Old 09-04-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 14 supercab and ina little over a years time I traded is for a 16 screw. I have kids (10 and 14) I am always taking them some where and it always annoying when you have to take your seat belt off and open your door to let them out. I have a 2000 reg cab long bed work truck so I don't have to use my 16 to haul.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Super cab vs super crew cab