General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid dealers....

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Stupid dealers....

I don't understand how auto dealers run (sic) their businesses...

Last night I went to 2 dealers to look at specific trucks I found online in their inventories. Each had most of the options I'd like and wanted to just take a look, maybe take a test drive, but more just to look and get a feel for the dealership.

For Dealer #1, I found the truck on their website, listed 2x - same VIN, different Stock #'s. They had an online chat feature on their website, and I asked to confirm the location of the truck, because they have 3-4 dealerships in the state, 2 of which are 10 min from me. They told me it was at one of the 2 closer to me, so I went by to look. Older sales guy seems clueless. Takes me out back and has me wandering around the tiny lot looking for a 'Lariat'. It was hard to tell a 'Lariat' with all the cars / trucks packed in together, but I could see immediately after walking out the truck wasn't there, as the one I wanted to look at had tow mirrors, and the 3 or 4 that they had out there didn't. Takes me back inside, sits me down, and starts walking back and forth to the big desk and bringing me printouts of Window stickers, one at a time, and asking "Is this what you're looking for?" and making comments like "This one's not even at our dealership / one of ours." I'm looking at them and saying "No, this one is a 5.0L. The one I saw was a 3.5L Eco." or "This one doesn't include the XYZ." I didn't need to see the window sticker, I saw that myself from the website - I wanted to see the truck in person. I ask him what he's actually doing (because I could've pulled up the VIN or stock number for the specific truck on my phone to find that truck faster than what they were doing). He's going on about when they find it, they can have it brought over for me to look at (it's 7:30pm - how long would that take?). I said if it's at your other location, I'll just go over there (it was sort of on my way home) rather than sitting there waiting while they put more miles on the new truck for no reason, and he mumbles something about the manager killing him for sending me over there. At that point, I got up and left, leaving my name and number and a few specs about what I'm looking for and telling them to call if they get something in...

So, then I go to Dealer #2, which is the one closest to home, but gets worse-than-average-for-a-car-dealer reviews on Google / Yelp / etc... I ask to see a truck that I found in in their inventory via Ford's site. They usually had a few nice trucks out front and a large lot in back. I spend ~1/2 hour poking around the KR on the showroom floor while they try and find the one I was looking for. After not being able to find it in their database, I use the sale's guy's PC to pull the window sticker up from Ford's site where it was showing in their inventory and give it to them. They seem to have an 'Ah ha!' moment and claim that it's out getting a lift and custom wheels. OK, fine... But then I get to thinking about it. The sticker says the truck had the 23gallon tank and the optional 20" wheels (for an extra $995). I'm pretty sure they're going to put aftermarket wheels on it (all the other lifted trucks on their lots do), so why use a truck that already has extra-cost wheels, and why lift one w/ the 23gal fuel tank? When it comes back, I'm going to go back and look at it and ask them about this, and if I would get both sets of wheels with the truck or if they're crediting the $995 back into the price, but I would NOT buy a lifted truck with a 23g fuel tank...

So, rather than trying to build a relationship with a dealer, when I'm ready to buy, I think I'm just going to do the online price quote thing from Edmunds, Consumer Reports, or whatever and just buy from the lowest bidder.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

The town i live in has 2 ford dealers. When shopping for a mustang i went to the 1 nearest me first. I was treated poorly and walked away. Drove (actual rode as i was on my street bike ) the extra 10 minutes to the second dealer. I was treated with kindness and respect. Was allowed to enjoy a relaxing test drive in 2 different cars. Guess where i bought it at. Have been back since and just purchased vehicle number 4 from them. I recommend them to my friends as well. Just about to order another truck from there as well. Not all dealerships are created equally. Some are also more like the 'Old Boys Club' and you will not even find 1 lady in sales. I find it odd when a place has 10 sales men and not even 1 lady. The dealer i like actually has 2 ladies in sales.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

They all suck around here IMO, and really take the joy out of purchasing a new vehicle for me. My F150 took 4 1/2 hrs to purchase. That is ridiculous. Why? Because they were trying to get every penny out of the deal until I finally had my keys back in my hand, and was out the door.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammy77
They all suck around here IMO, and really take the joy out of purchasing a new vehicle for me. My F150 took 4 1/2 hrs to purchase. That is ridiculous. Why? Because they were trying to get every penny out of the deal until I finally had my keys back in my hand, and was out the door.
Holy crap! I was in and out of the business office in less than 15 minutes.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's the old "Bait-n-Switch" tactic. They don't have it but will tell you what you want to hear just to get you in, and then spin BS while trying to sell you what they have. I think it has more to do with the dealer than the salesman. Someone is allowing or coaching them to do that.

Had a dealer 5 miles from me try that even after I told him not to. I even showed him my checkbook and let him look at my clear title trade in as a buying sign so he would know the deal could be easy - as long as he didn't pull any crap. He agreed and then immediately began to show me everything but what I wanted. He wasn't even close.

I ended up driving 60 miles to another dealer, told them why I drove 60 miles out of the way and asked if they would spend a few minutes and lead me to what I wanted. Sure - no problem. The guy knew I was a buyer who had been jerked around so he let me ask questions, walked the lot and showed me what he had and I got 99% of what I was looking for. The deal was smooth as silk and I'd buy from him again in a minute.

I don't know why some dealers are so intent on running off customers, but I guess the weak ones who cave in and buy whatever they are told to buy outnumber the ones who don't. I find it insulting when someone expects me to sign off on a 30K-40K deal like that.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:49 PM

Funny thing is Dealer #1's location is a 4 1/2 star dealer on Edmunds. Thier other local location is rated 5-stars for both Sales and Service. Maybe one of these days I'll pop into the other location to see what's what over there.

Dealer #2 actually called me yesterday morning and told me the truck was back from being lifted, so I went over and took a look. Took it for a test drive, and it rode nice and all, but I didn't even realize that they put 22" rims (w/ 35" tires) when I turned down a closed street that I knew was full of potholes due to being alongside a construction zone to see how it handled 'off road'. Luckily, neither did the freshman sales guy (22yo w/ the dealership for 2 months). I honestly don't know what they were thinking with the build. The stock truck seemed perfectly serviceable, but a 6" lift seems to be a bit much with the low-profile 35" tires (37s would've been real nice, though at that point you'd probably want the 3.73s...), but they also took a truck with the 23gal fuel tank and that already had the factory $1k 20" wheel option. I also find out that you get to keep the factory wheels and tires (they don't give you a credit for it), but the Fabtech lift negates OEM wheel sizes, so they're pretty much useless.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

That's the way it is in Chicago. I went to Buss Ford in McHenry on a recommendation and they are AMAZING! Very great people and great to work with.

I went to one in Carol Stream for work, and they started working on the truck before they called and told me the price. I told them to not do anything, put it back together and I was taking it where I bought it. They asked "why?" and I said "well, I don't trust a dealership that will start working on a car without quoting a price to the owner."

Last edited by Fbcoach; 05-05-2015 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sammy77 (05-05-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbcoach
That's the way it is in Chicago. I went to Buss Ford in McHenry on a recommendation and they are AMAZING! Very great people and great to work with.

I went to one in Carol Stream for work, and they started working on the truck before they called and told me the price. I told them to not do anything, put it back together and I was taking it where I bought it. They asked "why?" and I said "well, I don't trust a dealership that will start working on a car without quoting a price to the owner."

It's just sad that is the case around here.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

It's just sad that is the case around here.
So for a tune up and changing the coils the one in CS they were going to charge me $885.

Took it to the dealership I bought it from and the price was cut in OVER half. I ended up only doing the coil and I'm doing the plugs within a month. But yeah, $429 for all of my work at Buss Ford, compared to $885 at Joe Cotton. I couldn't believe it.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Stopped by Dealer #3 last night because I saw in their online inventory a Blue Jean Lariat and I wanted to see the color in person. (Love it, btw! Just wish you could get it with the Sport Pkg.... final call is going to be tough...)

Rode in on my motorcycle around 7:15pm. It was a really nice night out and all the sales guys were standing in the parking lot in front of the showroom. I pulled up and asked where the F150s were, and was pointed to an area of the lot nearby. As I rode over to an open spot near there and got off my bike, one of them was already behind me. Ok, no problem... We start walking around between the inventory just looking at the exteriors and shooting the breeze. It was pretty apparent that I've learned more about the F150 in the last couple of weeks than this guy ever knew. Told him I was thinking about a fully loaded Lariat w/ the 502a (because of the LED headlights), and he would then suggest an XLT ("You can get the LEDs put on!"). He also kept pushing the Sync and Nav for some reason (With a smartphone, I'm kind of take it or leave it with the Nav...). I saw the Blue Jean and he offered a test ride, but when I said I didn't want to bother just then because I also wanted try out the Adaptive Cruise and Park Assist (which this truck didn't have), and that I wasn't in a hurry because I probably wouldn't be buying until the end of the summer. As soon as I said that, the sales guy lost all interest in me, practically throwing a card at me and telling me to give him a call when I was ready. Looks like I found another dealer that I won't be owing any allegiance to....

Edit - Oh, this was after calling dealer #2's second location and asking to test drive a particular Lariat (this time giving them a VIN# from their own website). Guy emails me back 2 minutes later saying they have a Platinum with the same options (no mention about the Lariat I asked about). OK, fine, I tell them I'll be by later that evening. An hour later they send me an email saying they 'can't find' the truck that I was offered to test drive. I emailed them back asking how they lose a $60k truck, and that it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Still no word back...

Last edited by LMychajluk; 05-08-2015 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Stupid dealers....