Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Studdering Brakes and Shaking Wheel--"Warped" Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Truck N00b

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Studdering Brakes and Shaking Wheel--"Warped" Rotors?

My '06 has been studdering on braking over 40-50mph and the steering wheel shakes as well. On slow stops it's jerky as hell, so much so that my wife noticed it while in the passenger seat. I looked up the problem and it seems to be very common in these trucks--warped rotors. Now my truck has 40k miles, so I don't know if it's normal wear or what. That's water under the bridge at this point, all I know is that the studdering is annoying and I don't feel confident in a panic stop situation.

I went to Firestone and they wanted over $700 to replace the rotors and pads. The rotors they suggested were around $250 a piece (the studded ones). I don't know jack about cars (computer guy here) but even I knew that was a rip-off. So I'm going to buy the pads and rotors myself and have someone I know put them on for me.

What I need from you guys is a favor. First of all, hi. I need to know the best sites to order parts and I need a suggestion on some quality pads and rotors for my truck. I have a $300-$400 budget and it doesn't have to be high performance, truck show parts. Just something that's quality for normal use.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

first off what year, model and engine is your beastie?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Truck N00b

'06 F-150 5.4L 2WD Flex
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Autozone, and Checker Auto/ Parts America have better prices for your rotors, depending on just which ones they are run somewhere between 140 and 180 dollars each. While it is not hard to change out brake rotors, and pads there are a lot of details which if not addressed can mean the difference between a good brake job and sudden brake failure. If I was in your position I would call around to see if you can get a better price for the job. Don't forget your local Ford Dealer they are not automatically the most expensive. Brakes are one of those areas that can get you killed if not done correctly.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I switched to PowerSlot Rotors a while back due to the same problem...they are great! Not much more than stock Rotors .. $89 bucks apiece...I still use stock pads but love the Hawk HPS pads on my Mustang.

You MIGHT be able to have the rotors turned if they are still in spec??? Was that an option for you, a lot cheaper & will last for quite a while if you are lucky. Check that out I have done it many times on various cars/trucks.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Truck N00b

The rotors aren't turnable.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Truck N00b

Is Centric a good brand? How about Powerstop, Raybestos and Wearever?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:55 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I had lots of problems with my rotors warping. I bought the cheap rotors at first but they would only last about 2 months before warping again (I also pull a trailer everyday). I got the more expensive ones (but not high performance) and they would last about 6 months before warping. Finally I adjusted the way I brake and the rotors are lasting longer. I guess I would brake too late or too hard, causing excessive heat. The slotted or cross drilled rotors dissipate heat better, but since there is some area of the rotor that isn't there anymore there is less rotor surface for the friction required for braking. Usually when a vehicle is upgraded to cross drilled rotors, the rotor is changed to a larger diameter to make up for the lost friction surface. Of course, this requires bigger brakes and different calipers.

I've heard of Raybestos and Wearever, but that's all I can say about them.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 PM

Both Raybestous, and Wearever are good, so is Bendix.
Oh and one very important thing DO NOT GET STAINLESS STEEL ROTORS!!!
they might look good because they don't don't rust but they do not disipate the heat as well
nor do they stop as well as good old high carbon steel rotors.

Last edited by transmaster; 10-21-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
backyard basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if theyre not warped badly you can get them "turned" or refinished

Quick Reply: Studdering Brakes and Shaking Wheel--"Warped" Rotors?