Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stiff Steering After level? alignment? helpful info needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Steering After level? alignment? helpful info needed.

Hello, all I have a 2004 2wd supercab f150 newer body style. Last week i installed a 3" HBS leveling kit myself and it turned out awesome. I drove it for a few days with no problems besides a little out of alignment issues, but i am going to get that done soon with some new tires. Now i am experiencing stiff steering when turning but the alignment seems to be getting worse. i have checked the fluids and they are fine. Is this stiff steering just something a simply alignment will solve, is it at all related to the leveling kit? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You added 3 inches of lift by pushing down the stock location of the lower A Arm at the ball joint. This will open up the toe and add positive camber to the suspension. Because they should be equal to both sides I do not see this causing any steering stiffness. What all did you undo to install the kit?

EDIT: Excessive positive camber will cause heavy steering but not stiffness. Is the wheel very hard to turn or is it just a little more difficult to turn?

Last edited by TheJMC; 01-08-2011 at 11:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
boman2004 (01-12-2015)
Old 01-09-2011, 12:23 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. Yes. I should have said harder to steer. I can drive. Just a lot of harder to turn The wheel.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:42 AM

Just alot more effort to turn the wheel but it doesn't stop me from driving. I did everything the kit said. I removed The upper ball joint from the control ARM, tie rod end ,sway bar and removed The strut and turned it 180 degrees with The new spacer attached. Then put everything back. But for the first few days. Everything was fine and steering was normal after installing the kit.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:42 AM

[QUOTE="boman2004"]Just alot more effort to turn the wheel but it doesn't stop me from driving. I did everything the kit said. I removed The upper ball joint from the control ARM, tie rod end ,sway bar and removed The strut and turned it 180 degrees with The new spacer attached. Then put everything back. But for the first few days. Everything was fine and steering was normal after installing the kit. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Stiff Steering After level? alignment? helpful info needed.