General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering problem

Hey guys i have a little problem with my truck.
Well the story is i was doing donuts in a little field nothing to serious i thought. so then im driving home and i have to stop for a stop sign. then i turn and the wheel locks up for the most part, like there's no power steering and then i give it gas and it drives completely fine. but then another stop sign and it locks up. and etc until i get home.

got any suggestions or diagnoses?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Suggest to take a look at your power steering - may have torn a hose or damaged the cooler. Make sure the fluid level is where it's supposed to be.

Year and other pertinent specs?
Old 10-25-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Another thought in addition to WDE, was there any CEL activity? Wondering if the PS assist at idle is on the fritz.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM

couple things. One whats WDE? and no there was no CEL on at all.

My truck is a 2002 Ford F150, no modifications under the hood besides a k&N air filter. Rear wheel drive, 4.2 liter v6, extended cab.

ill check all the fluid levels and stuff. Me and my friend looked under it and nothing looked broken form what we could tell.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do have you any strange noises coming from the power steering pump. It sounds like a bad pump.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

WDE was my abreviation to the post by wde3477, sorry for the confusion. No CEL activity, hmm, sure hope there is no internal damage to the steering gear.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:24 PM

K thx WDE. I didn;t hear any wound what so ever while doing it. My friend said that again he didn't see anything wrong at all and thought it was the steering gears. How much roughly would u say getting a new steering box would cost me?
Old 10-31-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Here's a link - didn't see the year and other specifics for your vehicle -
http://www.lmctruck.com/ICATALOG/FD/full.aspx?page=124

Another online source is rockauto.com. With any online source, recommend to understand the shipping costs - some places are really 'proud' of their shipping, to the point that the 'local joe' parts store can be competitive.

May also try the local junkyards - the price could be really good if they let you go out and pull it yourself, to a bit higher if they've already salvaged one that is sitting on a shelf. Guessing the $25 - $100 range for this route. Be sure to ask about a warranty - many times, only 30 or 90 days with no cash refunds, only parts replacements.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Find out anything?

My 1997 f-150 is having the same problem. I have changed the power steering pump twice, as well as the fluid. I am still having the same problems that I started with, with the exception of a lighter wallet. I see that a few people on this sight seem to have the same problem, but I do not see anyone that has got a answer as to the problem. I even called that ford dealership and they said that they have never heard of that happening. I told them to read this forum and tell me that it never happens. If anyone could please help me in this situation I would forever be in their debt.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Default Added info

Forgot to mention that when I have the truck jacked up in the air it turns with no problems. If the gear box is going out would this cause the problem?
How would I check it to see if it is in the box.

Quick Reply: Steering problem