General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip On Steering Wheel Cover Quest

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slip On Steering Wheel Cover Quest

Has anyone found a "Slip-On" Steering Wheel cover that will fit on the F150's steering wheel? I notice that my 2010 F150 steering wheel is about 1/4 of inch wider than standard automobile steering wheels but have yet to find a brand cover that will pull over that bad boy. If anyone has found one that has the resilence to stretch over it please post the brand and model. I have already tried a few and no joy, even soaking them in hot water etc. They all seem to have that warning labeled "Fits Most"

I have seen the Wheel Skins but I am not interested in sewing leather covers on to my steering wheel or lacing. I want a "slip on" that I can pull on and off when I want to clean it thoroughly which is not feasible with a sew/lace on.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Received 43 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought one last week, I don't know the brand, but it was the standard model hanging on a rack at the truck accessories store. It was VERY hard to install. I could not do it by myself, and I'm a big guy. I asked the guy from the store for help, and we fought it for about 5 minutes and it finally went on. Don't think it will slip around on me any, LOL.

If I had to do it again, I would spray it with a little soapy water first to make it easier.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:04 AM
MuthaTruckin' Monster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The measurement specs on the page looks like they fit the measurements on our 2010 if IIRC. I would just double check to make sure.

Amazon Amazon

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by dre23; 11-06-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

usually 2 people are needed, but you can rip them too.

you can also throw it in the dryer for a little bit to soften it up.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

HUGE TIP. Before you go to put the cover on let it sit out on the sun a hour or 2 before you put it on. I put a new one on and let sit out on my dash at school, went out popped it right on.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't recommend a rubber lined cover. I had one on my last vehicle and rubber ruined the leather. Turned it black and left an imprint. I really like my current leather wrapped wheel; very comfortable.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I grabbed one of the larger one off the shelf at Walmart.
Was a PITA to get on, but it sits secure (No slippage).

Ultimately did what a few others suggested. I set it out in direct sunlight for about an hour to make it a bit more pliable the sprayed a bit of water on the steering wheel to help 'slip' it on.

Still took a bunch of pulling and stretching.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Yipe!

Originally Posted by AppDawg
I wouldn't recommend a rubber lined cover. I had one on my last vehicle and rubber ruined the leather. Turned it black and left an imprint. I really like my current leather wrapped wheel; very comfortable.
Thanks for the warning. Did not consider dis-similar material reactions. Makes me want to re-think my steering wheel project.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad i found this topic, i tried puttin one on my o5 and couldnt do it to save my life.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:38 AM

Funny you bring this up. I got mine on and it literally was one of the hardest things i have ever done. My forearms and shoulders were done. It felt like I had just lifted weights. I am a good sized dude who works out. I even had to use a pry bar to get the last bit on. It looks good now but when it cones off it will have to be cut off.

Quick Reply: Slip On Steering Wheel Cover Quest