General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RWD.....best ways to get traction

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD.....best ways to get traction

Hi everybody, new guy to the site. Thanks for your time in responding to this. I just recently bought a RWD '07 XLT. I live in Washington State and we usually don't get that extreme of weather so I thought I could live without a 4x4. Plus it saved me a couple grand going with RWD. When the time does come and we get a little snow, ice, or something along those lines, what suggestions do you have to increase traction in the back end? I used to throw some heavy bags of sand in the back, but wondering if there is something better. Right now when it's wet out, I can sometimes slip with traction, so I'm a little worried if it gets really snowy or icy out. Other than buying special hardcore winter tires, does anyone have any advice or tips? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 165 Likes on 117 Posts

You pretty much hit two out of the three ways. Tires and weight over the rear axle. The third thing would be your right foot.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Tires make a huge difference. A limited slip differential will too. When I got my 2000 2wd XLT it had probably the worst tires you can buy. They had the lowest of the low grade Nexen tires on it. It was honestly scary driving in the rain w/o weight in the rear.

I put a set of Michelins on it, upgraded the rear diff with a detroit Truetrac LSD and with 300 lbs. of sandbags in the rear I got through 8 inches of unplowed snow last year.

The change in tires made the biggest difference for me in terms of driving in the rain, and the LSD DEFINITELY helped with the snow. LSD's do have a tendency to fishtail a little bit more in the snow, so you shouldn't give it as much acceleration to get going. However, my truck came with the factory limited slip and the upgraded Truetrac has very low if any tendency to fishtail unless you're intentionally doing it.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:56 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Wait until midday in bad weather to start out. Quit early in the afternoons in bad weather to miss the traffic. Totally avoid traffic and night time weather. I forgot, drive on only dry pavement, low traffic roads avoiding all others.

Last edited by papa tiger; 10-26-2014 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

The weight on the rear and a good set of all season tires and you will be fine. This is my advice after driving 7 2wd f150s through almost 30 ohio winters. Oh and use common sense with throttle pressure.

Quick Reply: RWD.....best ways to get traction