General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Running Boards

Hi. New member, but still don't have a truck. Here in Alberta (maybe Canada wide) Ford is offering $1,500 in no extra charge accessories, for the time being.
I am negotiating on an 2016 F-150 SuperCrew FX4. Except for the AMP electric retractable, the Ford boards seem to be very high (little gap between the rocker panel).
My wife is short and not good hips and then our 10 yr old son.
Anybody know of any aftermarket running boards with a better leg length ?
Ie. closer to the ground to make life easier, for all ?
Even at 5'10" (me) it was a bit of a reach to get out of the truck that I was test driving.
If I can find better aftermarket boards then I can put more money into useful Ford accessories, or dress-up treats.
Thank-you.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2016 ext cab 4x4 came with running boards which I didn't want, (sold on craigslist) I removed them myself, bolts, NO studs. I put the bolts back in the holes to kept out dirt..
Old 10-22-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 25 Posts

Amp retractable running boards solves your wife's issues. My 83 yo mother in law gets into my truck with zero problems.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey!

Originally Posted by Alberta Bound
Hi. New member, but still don't have a truck. Here in Alberta (maybe Canada wide) Ford is offering $1,500 in no extra charge accessories, for the time being.
I am negotiating on an 2016 F-150 SuperCrew FX4. Except for the AMP electric retractable, the Ford boards seem to be very high (little gap between the rocker panel).
My wife is short and not good hips and then our 10 yr old son.
Anybody know of any aftermarket running boards with a better leg length ?
Ie. closer to the ground to make life easier, for all ?
Even at 5'10" (me) it was a bit of a reach to get out of the truck that I was test driving.
If I can find better aftermarket boards then I can put more money into useful Ford accessories, or dress-up treats.
Thank-you.
Hello fellow Canadian! Just got my F150 with power retractable running boards. I'm 5'4" and can actually able to get in my truck because of it, haha. My mom is even shorter and 75yrs old. Don't have any problems thanks to the running boards.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:54 AM

Thank-you for the responses. Yes I have looked into the AMP Research retractable RB's ... but the current $ in Canada (with the horrid exchange rate) unfortunately puts them at almost $2,000 :-(
I went to the dealership on Saturday and maybe found a reasonable compromise. The F-250 RB's have a longer leg (almost 4.5") and the bolt patterns seem to match (fingers crossed). So today, when the parts department opens, the salesman will check to see if a pair will actually fit.
Therefore, if successful, $490 v/s $2,000. I will post an update as soon as I hear from the dealership.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank-you for the responses. Yes I have looked into the AMP Research retractable RB's ... but the current $ in Canada (with the horrid exchange rate) unfortunately puts them at almost $2,000 :-(
I went to the dealership on Saturday and maybe found a reasonable compromise. The F-250 RB's have a longer leg (almost 4.5") and the bolt patterns seem to match (fingers crossed). So today, when the parts department opens, the salesman will check to see if a pair will actually fit.
Therefore, if successful, $490 v/s $2,000. I will post an update as soon as I hear from the dealership.
Running boards are literally a bolt on accessory. If you don't like the options they gave you, you can order some and do the install yourself. It is that easy.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:07 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm curious to what you find out with the superduty running boards. My wife is preggers and I don't know how long she'll be able to climb into my truck without a step stool. SO the $500 boards are not power right, just dip down a little lower than the stock f150's?
Old 10-26-2016, 12:57 AM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

I second/third/etc the AMPs. I have the truck in my sig and I (5'9", my wife 5'4" and ,my 12 yr old and 8 yr old have zero problems getting in. Additionally, my mother-in-law (5'2") can even get in easily. They are the only way to go in my opinion.

Here are pics of before and after (with measurements) of my truck during my AMP install. Page 6 if it doesn't load straight to it.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-b...270928/index6/
Old 10-29-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ExplodingPigeon
SO the $500 boards are not power right, just dip down a little lower than the stock f150's?
Yes. The salesman and I measured and my estimate is almost another 4.5" closer to the ground - 16" step-up v/s approximately 21".
They have said that the parts department think it should work fine. The bolt patterns seem to match
Old 10-31-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes. The salesman and I measured and my estimate is almost another 4.5" closer to the ground - 16" step-up v/s approximately 21".
They have said that the parts department think it should work fine. The bolt patterns seem to match
AMPs are 14.5 inches from the ground with 35x12.5s AND tuck away so they don't get ripped off. My running boards actually sit above my frame (no body lift. If I hit my boards (without rock crawling) then I have much bigger problems than my boards. LOL.

Quick Reply: Running Boards