General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Board Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Board Help

Hey all, just put a Zone 6" lift and 35" Toyo Open Country R/T tires. The stock running boards certainly still work but it is quite a step up. Looking for something that goes a little lower to even up the step from ground to into the truck....more important for getting out than in really. Any suggestions?

Not a huge fan of the automatic steps that come down when the door opens though. Just an FYI
Old 11-14-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Markusj83
Not a huge fan of the automatic steps that come down when the door opens though. Just an FYI
Really? Why? I absolutely love them on my truck with a 4" lift and 35's, makes it so easy to step in/out. Is it the cost that kills it for you? That I can understand, they are pricey but more than worth it to me.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Hey all, just put a Zone 6" lift and 35" Toyo Open Country R/T tires. The stock running boards certainly still work but it is quite a step up. Looking for something that goes a little lower to even up the step from ground to into the truck....more important for getting out than in really. Any suggestions?

I have the ICI Magnum Step Bars, they're pretty HD and go down a good bit. I don't have a 6" lift, but I imagine these would work well for you.
Attached Thumbnails Running Board Help-truck4.jpg  

Last edited by F150FX4THEWIN; 11-15-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Really? Why? I absolutely love them on my truck with a 4" lift and 35's, makes it so easy to step in/out. Is it the cost that kills it for you? That I can understand, they are pricey but more than worth it to me.
nothing against them. They seem to work great but I just like the look of the stationary ones. Just a preference.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:58 PM
Zeke in SC

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Hmmm

Seems counterproductive to the purpose of a lift kit...unless you're just looking for form over function. Lift kits are to increase ground clearance and one of the lowest hanging things is stationary running boards.

My point to stay on topic is, if you want the best ground clearance, the automatic running boards would be the way to go.
The following users liked this post:
Rockjock3 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 03:51 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

nothing against them. They seem to work great but I just like the look of the stationary ones. Just a preference.
If everyone was the same it'd be a pretty boring world, good luck on your quest oh and just to add on the post above about ground clearance, he's 100% correct, I took my stationary boards off after I bottomed out parking on a slight incline next to a road, jarred every bone in my body.

No more of that.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

If you plan on doing anything other than just pavement posing, you might want to reconsider the power steps.

Let me clarify though, the AMP powersteps, not the Ford knock-offs. Ford licensed the name and design from AMP, but AMP doesn't build them. The Ford version is the one you hear the most problems with. The AMPs are a lot less prone to issues and their customer service is tops.

The steps have a crush prevention that stops the board from going in either direction when it has more than about 5lbs of pressure against it. This helps prevent injury and stops the boards from being damaged if they try to deploy when you are off-road and axle deep. I have had them on for 3 years and they are AWESOME, both on-road and significant off-road during the hunting season. They actually come up higher than the frame (you can see in my second pic) so if you damage them through normal off-roading (not rock crawling) then you have bigger problems because you are already sitting on your frame.

Additionally, they come down 6.5 inches lower than the stock ones, you can put your whole foot on them as well, not just your toe or the side of your foot. My 5 year old boy, 9 year old girl and 5'6" wife all have had zero problems getting in with them.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-b...270928/index6/

Page 6, in case it goes to the first page.