General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rumbling from rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rumbling from rear end.

I got a 2002 ford f150 FX4 and i got a rumbling feeling from my rear end. It only happens when i take off from a stop. I also noticed that my 4wheel high does not work but my 4wheel low works great. What could this be. Need some help.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmm...sounds scary. Have you checked your differential?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:15 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lord-of-Ford
Hmm...sounds scary. Have you checked your differential?
true enough on the rear rumble sound, but his 4x4 high wouldn't be affected by the rear diff, would it? Perhaps 2 different problems?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM

yea i have checked the differential. But the rumbling started after the 4wheel drive high stopped working. But i was told that vibration can run down the drive shaft.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:48 PM

My rear end had a rumble/vibration in it when starting off, primarily accelerating while turning. I changed the gear oil to royal purple and the problem persisted. I then added the ford LSD friction modifier and havent felt or heard it since. (its been a couple of months) As far as the 4wd there is a good chance that its a separate issue. Are you sure it is locking into 4Low. Just because your in 4Low doesn't necessarily mean you have power to the front wheels I believe. I am sure I will be corrected if this is not the case. Good Luck man.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have seen drive shaft mounts get loose and would make noises. I say differential because sometimes peeps say rumble when it is actually a grinding sound so thought a few teeth broke.

OP - Before the noise occurred did you hit anything like a large rock grazing the under carriage or have a hard thump while 4x4ing?

Good luck with issue!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 AM

I dont know. The thing is i have changed my differential fluid 2 times and I have absolutely no metal shaving. But the other thing is it only happens after i drive it for nore than a half hour or so. It doesnt do it when it is cold.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Well, when i put it 4x4 high the 4x4 light does not come on. But when i put it into 4x4 low the light does come on. Ok know when i put the transfer case into neutral, I can leave it in few a few seconds and when i go to take it out it make all kinds of grinding and slamming. I have checkes when it is in 4x4 low it is engaging all the way.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 PM

I'd still say its a separate issue... when it comes to the transfer case i can be of no use man. But one more question with the rear end. Have you been adding the friction modifier to the fluid?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well my truck was doing this so while I was at the dealer for a transmission flush, they replace my rear axle "clutch" since it would shutter when I would be making a turn at low speed and since it's still under warranty, just had to pay my deductible plus hanging around the dealership all day but no more shuttering, yeah!!

Quick Reply: rumbling from rear end.