General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough running 5.4 Need help bad

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough running 5.4 Need help bad

I've had my truck for a little over a year and ever since i bought it its always run kinda rough. Its a 97' F-250 with the 5.4L it was the first year for the engine. i knew what the truck was supposed to run like cause i rode in it when it was new. the truck is a little sluggesh (but its not slow) it just to me seems like its lacking. The easiest way to notice the problem is to rev. the engine to 1,450 and the tack goes crazy and it starts missen and spitting. So thats where my problems began. I replaced the spark plugs costing me over $300 in charges i got the truck back no difference. Then my #4 cylnder coil pack goes out because of a leaking heater hose setting me back $150. Then i replaced the boots costing me another $200. ive been running high test gas, injector cleaner, octane booster everything i could think of. The only thing i found strange was after changing my spark plugs several weeks later it still had a terrible miss so i pulled the plug out (#7 cylnder try getting to its a pain and a half) and the plug was a cherry red color so for whatever reason my spark plug that had only been in there for several weeks is cherry red and not fireing. I was running out of options so i took it to a mechanic he did something with the EGR valve and the miss at 1450 was gone but still missing at idle and still missing everywhere else so i paid another guy to undo his actions because the check engine light stayed on and it would not go through emmisions. Then my old problems where back missing at 1450 and missing going down the road (especialy when under under strain and going up hills). Please help ASAP im running out of ideas and cannot afford anymore set backs that dont work.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Feeling my way through

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should take it and get the error codes. Otherwise you could fix a LOT of things before rectifying the trouble.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with kerry. there are so many things that can cause it to run rough without the codes to give you a diagnostic stratagy(sp) its hard to figure out whats goin on.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Spend money on the one thing you should have done at the get go, an engine code reader. For the OBDII controls you can get a simple code reader for about 40 bucks, if you want to get really fancy you can get one for 200 with a big screen and tell you what the fault codes mean. As you have found out throwing parts a modern digital engine is expensive.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:06 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Another Maryland member! Welcome!

I agree, the error codes should/could make a big difference in diagnosing the problem with your engine. Good luck!
Oh, AutoZone and/or AdvanceAutoParts should read your codes for free and give you a print-out of them too.

Quick Reply: Rough running 5.4 Need help bad