Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ring & Pinion parts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ring & Pinion parts questions

Hey gang,

Really enjoying my new 2013 SCrew Ecoboost, and also this forum!

I just got a sweet LMS calibrator and have been loving the performance tunes! That said, the 3.31 gears just aren't going to cut it. So, I've decided to have a local shop regear to 3.73. Shop will get aftermarket r&p's for me, or I can provide my own.

I'm really leaning toward staying with OEM Ford, as I want to avoid issues/whine etc down the road.

Besides the actual ring and pinion sets, will someone please let me know what parts I would want to order?

Here are links to the front and rear schematics.

http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/f-150/xlt-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/front-drive-axle-cat/differential-scat

http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2013/ford/f-150/xlt-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/universals-and-rear-axle-cat/differential-scat

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

The parts a generally cheaper through the FRPP channel than the Ford Parts channel. I believe Tasca is a FRPP Dealer (Not all Ford are). Do a little research and make sure the gears you order from FRPP are the OEM ones. They often sell both Ford OEM and aftermarket. The Ford Gears will be easier to set up needing less shim changes to get the lash right. When I ordered 8.8 4.10 the "A" Gears were Ford and the "M" Gears were Motives but that is gear ratio and rear axle model dependent.

My Mustang was very new at the time so the only thing I used was MC Synthetic Lube + LSD Additive (Wont be needed for Elocker I believe), some sealer (the cover doesn't use a gasket) and one small additional shim (lash).

You might need a bearing kit if you have a good number of miles on it. I don't know who Ford is buying bearings from right now but Timken Bearings may be better than the OEM if they are buying Chinese bearings. I would let the shop supply any shims needed.

Noise is 90+% setup. The quality of the tech is more important than the brand of the gears but OEM gears are very reasonable through FRPP and are easier to set up.

Last edited by Gene K; 02-18-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:45 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it! Only 25K on it, so wouldn't think wear would be a big issue. I just wasn't sure about what, besides the ring and pinion, would be smart to ensure best results.

I'll definitely be checking with Tasca, as that's where my parts schematics came from.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

I put Yukons in an F250. I also bought a bearing kit with a shim kit and did everything. I had no issues and did the install myself.

For the sake of warranty, etc. You might want to just let them do it or Ford since they have a 2 year 24K unlimited mileage warranty on it.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 PM

Thanks, I'm going with a very reputable shop that does a lot of rear ends on trucks, muscle cars, etc.

I know I'm rolling the dice as far as my CPO warranty, but the heart wants what the heart wants, lol.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The one question I have is, what's an LMS calibrator? If it's anything like a programmer for custom tunes I find it hard to believe the increase in power using it would even make you want to re-gear.

Reason being is I also have 3.31 gears and when I put MPT custom tunes in my truck with a 5.0, the beast came alive and even with 35" tires, it barks the hell out of them when it shifts into 2nd and sometimes scratches 3rd, you have the TT that already has more power and tq than my 5.0 so something is a miss here. Either you have a lame calibrator (if that's the same as a tuner) or the tune you got is nothing much more than stock.

Please elaborate and you might save several thousand by not changing gears. What's the rest of the story?
Old 02-18-2017, 09:23 PM

Livernois Performance.

It definitely is much improved over stock, but I am going to be towing pretty heavy lumber, as much as I can, and my past regearing of a Jeep made a world of difference, so I'm hoping for the same here.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:39 PM

Off road maybe but not on the blacktop unless your in the mountains.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:41 PM

You think? Even for heavy towing? Well, I'm not going to jump just yet...
Old 02-18-2017, 09:45 PM

I can't comment on LMS tunes, barely hear about them in this forum. I do however have extensive and personal experience with 5* and MPT custom tunes and the difference from stock is mind blowing!!

Completely different truck!!