General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Camera Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Reverse Camera Wiring Question

So I bought a reverse camera for my truck on ebay after trying to install my clumsy big Clarion camera off my last car, I figured I would try the keyhole type. I got the camera mounted, hooked up the (+) to reverse lights,(-) to ground on the back of the hitch wiring plug on the camera side. For the reverse trigger wire on the H.U. Side, I tapped into the Black/Pink wire in the big bundle of wires behind the plastic kick panel under the hood release. The camera came with a wiring diagram but it was in chinglish and I figured I wouldn't need it anyways so I threw it away. I know, bad idea ... Now that I have it all hooked up, I can't get an image to display on the H.U.(Pioneer AHV-P4300DVD). The screen isn't even displaying a blank picture when going into reverse and I cannot select the camera manually in the menu. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to start trouble shooting. Also, can anyone Identify the red wires coming out of the yellow plugs at each end of the video cable? I made a diagram, forgive me, MS paint is all I have at work... I have a seperate trigger wire run independently from the video cable to eliminate any chance of electrical interference in the video signal. is this a built in trigger wire that is supposed to be running from the back of the cable to the front, so you only have to run one cord? That is the only thing I can think of. Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by Joelwit; 09-23-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

One issue may lie with the trigger wire. For some reason I thought the reverse light positive wire was pink with black stripe, but it could be different for your model. Just pop the rear tail light off and see which wire is the positive on the reverse lights.

Maybe the camera also needs to be hooked to constant 12VDC. I would think if the camera and the trigger come on at the same time the camera may not see the trigger. With my camera I have it wired to constant, when vehicle is on, 12VDC and then the trigger wire turns the signal off and on.

The video feed is just hooked straight to the back of the radio. I do not have a video feed with a red wire attached to it. I think it came with one and I did not use it, simply because it was not long enough. I would not be worried about video interference since it is just 12VDC and your video cable should be shielded.
The following users liked this post:
Joelwit (09-23-2013)
Old 09-23-2013, 02:23 PM

Found my wiring diagram... awesome instructions...
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Make sure you have the yellow video cable plugged into the right input on the back of the receiver. I kept overthinking a problem I had with mine. Turns out I had it plugged into the video input instead of the correct one for a back up camera.
Mines a avh 3300bt, but it may be similar.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 PM

There is 2 inputs. Does your vamera input say "R.C.IN"? I noticed this plug in the top left corner of the gazillions of inputs. Its not yellow like a normal video input i think it was brown, but it may stand for rear camera input? I'll make sure its plugged in right and report back.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:16 PM

Update: It was against my better judgement but I used a scotch lock wire splice and it did not pierce the insulation all the way on the reverse light positive wire leaving the camera without power. I got it working!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Glad you got it.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default here is how if you are still looking

Attached Thumbnails Reverse Camera Wiring Question-camera.jpg  

Last edited by moulay; 05-12-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: attanchment wont load

Quick Reply: Reverse Camera Wiring Question