Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev up but no acceleration

Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev up but no acceleration

Hello everyone. i have a problem on a recent 06' F150 Lariat i purchased. While driving at 65 mph and wanting to pass a vehicle, i give it the gas and the engine revs up but little to no acceleration occurs. And if you give it too much gas, the check engine light starts to flicker. On the interstate it seems to drive just fine but when you go to pass it just like to rev up and no go. Now my check engine light stays on and it still does the same thing. What is my truck doing? Tranny, CAT, spark plug misfires.........
Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Go get the code checked and it will tell you what is going on.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its gonna have to get a laptop plugged in to read codes and test drive. It wil show up exactly what is going wrong on the screen as it is doing it. Without knowing the code it could be a lot of things.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM

took it to get the comp. read. turned out to be #3 ignition coil bad. replaced coil and seems to run better but still has some power issues. should i unplug the positive terminal to reset the comp? maybe the timing is still off?
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

You can reset the ECU by taking the negative cable off for a while, won't hurt anything but not guaranteed to help either. This isn't a points ignition system where timing can get "off". If you feel like it's still lacking, start doing maintenance like cleaning the MAF and throttle body.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 AM

ok guys. heres the reason for no acceleration....and from the looks of it, its quite an obvious problem for F150's. The catalytic convertor, right bank, was clogged. And for some of yall out there that did not know this, the cat's are covered under a EPA warranty of 80,000 miles or 8 yrs which ever comes first, regardless of ownership! So when i found this out i visited the local dealership and he confirmed it and is going to replace both cats free of charge. Yee haw!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Diddy_Kong
ok guys. heres the reason for no acceleration....and from the looks of it, its quite an obvious problem for F150's. The catalytic convertor, right bank, was clogged. And for some of yall out there that did not know this, the cat's are covered under a EPA warranty of 80,000 miles or 8 yrs which ever comes first, regardless of ownership! So when i found this out i visited the local dealership and he confirmed it and is going to replace both cats free of charge. Yee haw!
SCORE! Lol
Old 09-17-2021, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same problem

Originally Posted by chromefonica
SCORE! Lol
Im having same issue with 2011 f150 stx 5.0.

Real sluggish and felt like brakes were on all the time. No acceleration and constant downshifting.

New rotors and brake pads on rear.
checked ebrakes. Pass side ebrake was sticking.
installed CAI.
new MAF sensor.
new purge valve.
new PCV.
oil catch setup.
new rotors and pads on front. Front rotors were warped pretty bad. This one really helped a lot but still having issues.
reset TPS. Works for a few hours until computer makes adjustments.
I’m checking the back pressure on both CATs in a few hours. I’ll keep you posted.

Update:
New o2 sensor b1s2
ran a Gallon of lacquer thinner through fuel system twice.
front passenger brake pads were sticking. Ended up putting new calipers on front.

ran better but still no power accelerating on highway.

hooked up to laptop with forscan, and cleared transmission adaptive learning table, and all other adaptive learning data.

After starting truck again I could tell immediately that the engine was running great. No more issue with acceleration so far.

Last edited by ThirdCoastElectronic; 10-25-2021 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:58 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by Diddy_Kong
Now your focus should shift to why the cat clogged. Most likely you are running too rich in that bank. Fix that, you'll get even more power back, and won't have to worry about it clogging back up in another however many miles it took you to go from aok to where you are today.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:44 PM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by brucezhouaaa
If you want to get a mini excavator, we can help you.
If you need one electric mini digger or diesel engine mini bagger or gasonline mini excavator, we also can help you. For,we are the preofessional mini excavator supplier from China. Click here you will see our website and send inquiry on our webiste.
https://bit.ly/3EwGdRr

Wouldn't be Spam would it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rev up but no acceleration